Coffee Beans HELP Allergies?

pakkabi

Nov 23, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
Has anyone ever heard of Full City coffee beans helping with allergy headaches or other allergies?? Someone suggested to me that smelling them when I get into perfumes and other strong odors I'm allergic to that this would help! Evidently the coffee shop that sells these beans has people coming in quite a lot for this very purpose! Does anyone have any further information as to why this works? Would appreciate any comments on this subject! Thanks!

Rowley

Mar 7, 2003
California
Visit site
Interesting. Hearing this I classify it like an old-wives tale. Coffee beans have a typically smooth yet strong oder, so smelling a handfull when you are overcome by other oders such as perfume makes sense in a small way that the beans will override the perfume or other oder and help you breath.

That is about all I can think up, as for "full city beans" being any different then any normaly coffee beans, I would have to hear from someone who has dealt with them before or "full city" themselves. I personally don't think anyone would develop and sell coffee beans for an anti-allergen instead of makeing coffee.

One more thing about coffee beans and their aroma. It doesn't last long, You would probly be using about a handful every day and be walking around with a sealed pouch full of them, in case you had to run into bath & body works or something. Not to mention how dirty they would be if you where useing grounds instead of whole beans.

pgard

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I agree, Yet another factor about coffees as well as their aroma. It does not last lengthy, You'd probly be utilising in regards to a handful every single day and become travelling having a sealed pouch filled with them, just in case you needed to encounter bath & body works or something like that. As well as how dirty they'd be should you where useing grounds rather than whole beans.

KimberlyRollins

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Actually, they are on to something....

I sell Scentsy (wonderfully scented wax & warmers) as a hobby business but I am also extremely sensitive to certain smells. The tester ladies in the department stores are my worst enemies & if I ever get into an elevator or small office with someone wearing perfume, I'm screwed. I know a massive migraine will hit in a matter of minutes.

One of the things Scentsy offers for it's consultants to use is a small tin of coffee beans. The idea is, after sniffing so many scents (we have over 80 available) your scent receptors get overloaded & you can clear them by simply sniffing the coffee beans. I was skeptical at first but this actually works & it has drastically help my migraines from random smells!

Now I always carry my tin of coffee beans with me. I have used the same beans for about a month now & the smell is just now starting to weaken so you don't have to replace the beans often at all.

Hope this helps =)
KimberlyRollins.Scentsy.us

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "KimberlyRollins"

Welcome to the Coffee Forum!

I enjoyed reading your post, and I plan to share it with several friends who have problems with strong scents. One person in particular gets serious migranes after being near people who wear strong perfumes or colognes.

Now, I'm wondering.....I work in a cafe and we are constantly grinding coffee beans to make the coffee. People come into the cafe and say, "It smells so good in here" or "Yum, I can smell the coffee" and I feel bad because I can't smell it anymore. I don't even smell it when I walk in from the outside after running errands. I guess my coffee-scent receptor no longer works.

Rose

KimberlyRollins

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi Rose! Thanks for the warm welcome! :coffee:

Ya know what... I have the same problem with the Scentsy pak in my car! When someone gets in my car they ALWAYS comment on how wonderful it smells but I can't smell a thing anymore. I guess you do get use to certain scents if you are constantly exposed to them. Kinda sad, to not be able to smell coffee anymore though! =(

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
~ I decided to share your information with my manager at work who has a severe reaction to people wearing strong perfumes and colognes. She instantly gets a stuffy head and a headache as soon as they walk past her. She said that she noticed a tray of coffee beans on the counter at a local soap shop, and people were snffing the beans from time to time after they sniff the scented soaps. They have to keep the coffee beans up high on the counter, because little kids think they're candy.

It looks like the coffee bean tin is a handy remedy for those strong scents and perfumes!

On another note, I'm wondering if those individuals, who pour on the perfume or cologne, can smell it anymore. Maybe they need to sniff the coffee beans, and then hopefully they'd tone it down.

Rose

KimberlyRollins

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
That's great! I wish I had come across this info years ago. It would have saved me many migraines. I don't know why people douse themselves in perfume & cologne. It's suppose to be a personal scent, not one that wafts through the room when the pass through. =(

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I can't help writing here. I'm a huge coffee lover (like everyone here, I guess), but I also suffer from allergies (seasonal, food, etc.) and I've never heard that coffee can help me. I just need to find special beans! Thanks for the information!
Thing is every single person will have different reactions to various airborne 'threats' and the immune system can/will fight things differently pretty much daily. Over time you can build a tolerance to known threats and it just goes on and on. I've been dealing with gnarly allergies for over 2 decades now and have been treated by UNC Allergy/Immunology for 19 yrs and still far from realistically desensitized and may never be. Funny thing with coffee is I can consume it like no tomorrow and can smell/handle green or roasted with no issues, but during roasting if one flake of chaff gets in my eyes it's an instant reaction that gets quite annoying.

Take what you read/hear with a grain of 'coffee' as one size will never fit all with daily life. Can't begin to count the crap I've been told like eating local honey can get rid of allergies. Yeah lmao on that as I can eat local honey by the pint and still suffering with severe allergies every minute of every day...

thesamestranger

Sep 18, 2023
Usa
Visit site
There is no scientific evidence to suggest that Full City coffee beans or any specific type of coffee can help with allergy headaches or alleviate allergy symptoms. Coffee does contain compounds, such as antioxidants, that may have some health benefits, but these are generally unrelated to allergy relief. I often read various articles about health. The last one was https://betterme.world/articles/watermelon-detox/ . Health is very important and you should know many ways about how to take care of it

Last edited:

Enigma-2

Oct 26, 2023
Indiana
Visit site
Did find this...

As mentioned, caffeine contains histamine which, when coupled with the immune system’s response to allergens, can exacerbate symptoms like inflammation and congestion. This means it’s best to cut down or avoid caffeine altogether if your allergic rhinitis symptoms feel particularly severe.