Coffee Cart start up questions

jerrygarcia39

Oct 16, 2006
Northern Vermont
Visit site
I work at a ski resort in Vermont that gets plus/minus 365,000 skier vists from Nov-April, 10-15,000 golfers from May-August and another few thousand leaf peepers in the fall.

Currently we have no coffee offerings, save a small Green Mountain Coffee counter that is underwhelming.

I have the ability to start up a coffee cart business w/out paying rent for two years and, after that, at a fractional percentage of net revenue (less than 3%).

Any thoughts on general start up costs relating to a smallish cart offering coffee and esp only (at first)?

Not looking to get rich here as my full time job is with the resort but we need to offer more coffee related options to guests (50% are from Quebec and they love/are willing to pay, for good coffee), and making a bit on the side would suit me fine.

We do between 5,000-7,000 people a day on weekends (40% more on holidays weeks), 1,500-3,000 per day on midweeks, and just abouot everyone has to funnel through the area where this potential cart would live.

Appreciate any and all thoughts relative to the start up/profitability issues here.

Thanks so much.

Brew's Coffee

Oct 14, 2006
Visit site
Coffee cart start up in Vermont

Sounds like you've got the customer base, I'd think you could do really well! You should probably hire an experienced Barista to run the whole operation for you...there are lots of sites on-line that can help you figure out what you'll need for start-up (i.e. supplies, drink recipes), and I've found that if you find a good local roaster their help and advice is priceless!