Coffee Counts as Fluid!!! Really!!!

tintinet

Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Fulfilling Your Thirst

The report, issued today by the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, says that most healthy Americans meet their daily hydration needs by letting thirst be their guide, rather than by following the old "eight to nine glasses a day" rule.......

The report doesn't specify exact requirements for water intake, but it does make general recommendations of 91 ounces per day for women and 125 ounces for men of total water per day, which actually translates to a few glasses more than eight glasses a day.

But in a change from the past, the panel loosened the requirements on how people can meet those recommendations, allowing caffeinated beverages, such as soda and coffee, and food to count toward total water intake. Although caffeine has been thought to have a diuretic effect, researchers say studies show that effect is only temporary.

They say that although low intake of water has been associated with some chronic diseases, there is not enough evidence to establish water intake recommendations as a means to reduce the risks of chronic disease.

"We don't offer any rule of thumb based on how many glasses of water people should drink each day because our hydration needs can be met through a variety of sources in addition to drinking water," says panel chairman Lawrence Appel, MD, MPH, in a news release. "While drinking water is a frequent choice for hydration, people also get water from juice, milk, coffee, tea, soda, fruits, vegetables, and other foods and beverages as well.

"Moreover, we concluded that on a daily basis, people get adequate amounts of water from normal drinking behavior -- consumption of beverages at meals and in other social situations -- and by letting their thirst guide them," says Appel, who is also professor of medicine, epidemiology, and international health at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
wooohooo!! I can not wait to show my wife this!! She is always busting my chops that I drink too much coffee and not enough water!!!! Thank you sooooooo much!