Coffee drinks pls advise

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
Guys, I have a small chain of coffee shops, where I sell roasted coffee beans. I have really big choice of freshly roasted coffee 15 single origin and 15 blends, bulk tea, small tea and coffee makers. BUT I dont serve coffee in cups upto now. In some locations (especially in large supermarkets) it is clear that people ask for it and get surprised that we dont serve it, even 5 year fanatic regular customers ask us to sell it. The business is simply telling me to offer it. So I would like to ask your advice about the coffee maker or even coffee itself that could be suitable for my needs.
I need a coffee maker that could serve 100-200 cups of really good coffee -- I dont want to harm the reputation of quality coffee roaster because of bad coffee in cup. What you think it should be some single cup making machine or some bunn style with thermos. As you understand I dont want to jump in coffee drinks business, I just need a very small corner able to offer a cup of very good coffee, not espresso even, just regular but fresh coffee with some milk options maximum. No complicated espresso machines.
Any advice? Is there anything like this? Please advise shall I offer one type coffee or several ones? Thanks in advance!

I am thinking stick with French Press. It makes little sense to be using a bulk brewer if you are focusing on quality. Granted, this will generate more work for your people, however the quality the end of the day will be ppreciated by the customers... also you should be able to perhaps sell french press along with the coffee in supermarket and other retail outlets. JohnP shold be able to elaborate more on this... he is resident expert on this particular subject.

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Alun_evans said:
I am thinking stick with French Press. It makes little sense to be using a bulk brewer if you are focusing on quality.

I agree completely... keep the dispensing technology simple and effective. French press, Melitta cone, Chemex filter or something along those lines. You may wish to have a line of reliable grinders (hand or electric) to go along with those in order and strict instructions for brewing in order to ensure better quality results in the cup. It should go a long way to avoiding major problems -- water, of course, is another issue...

Best of success!

Andrew

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
Thanks guys, to me too French press is a best method for fast coffee (and may be the best then any other method of preparing coffee), but I can not organize there washing etc. I think to organize it as coffee to go in paper style cups, also very important that these are really busy coffee grinding places, so fast service is a must.
So any other solution?
As for the grinders I think I have best grinders in the world "Mahlkoenig".
For selling french press (as pot) I sell them a lot anyway.
Hope for your further help to elaborate the idea

Coffeeexpert

Jun 29, 2008
USA
Visit site
Coffee shops in Eastern Europe normally sell espresso shots of all the origins they offer and french press. That's what works for the culture. Not many people over there can afford American style drip coffee makers... therefore, that style of coffee is not popular.

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
Can you recommend any commercial coffee maker that makes good coffee, and is easy to operate i.e. one touch one cup. it should not need a barista to operate it.
I dont need a espresso machine, then i have to offer a fool menu of espresso made drinks, I am not going there. I want just to offer a tasty cup of fresh regular coffee.

Coffeeexpert

Jun 29, 2008
USA
Visit site
Without spending a lot of money on a Clover or a Super-Automatic, you could get a pod brewer with an adapter to use your coffee grounds.

Bunn My Cafe Pod Brewer $299- Can brew 60 cups an hour. Can't personally vouch for it's quality though, never used it.

CJ-1000 Pod brewer for coffee and tea $979

I've tried Kuerig and Tassimo Pod brewers, but they never seem to taste right... don't get hot enough and never make a proper cup.

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
Coffeeexpert said:
you could get a pod brewer with an adapter to use your coffee grounds.
Do you mean I could use that machine for my coffee? I dont produce any pods myself and of course I want to offer my coffee.
I would spend double or even more for better machine.

Coffeeexpert

Jun 29, 2008
USA
Visit site
What are you looking to spend? I wouldn't recommend a pod brewer but you don't want to use an Aeropress or French Press. There is an adapter that will allow you to use your own coffee instead of a pod. One is plastic and has a mesh screen. You could use a commercial Brewer like Fetco or Bunn with a thermos but I don't know how many cups you plan to sell per hour.

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
I could spend maximum abt 2,000 USD per machine. Do these thermos sets keep coffee really hot? Can coffee have fresh (good) taste after being in thermos for 2-3 hours? I dont plan to sell a lot, about 100-200 cups per day.

Coffeeexpert

Jun 29, 2008
USA
Visit site
Coffee flavor degrades over time after it is brewed. The time you can store your coffee in a thermos is debatable. A thermos is better than a hot plate however, since a hot place will simply burn off the coffee aroma and flavor. Some coffee shops keep their coffee in thermoses for up to two hours. You should search for a coffee equipment supplier in your country. They will be able to sell you equipment with the proper voltage and service it if required. If you are going to sell tea or cocoa, chose a brewer with a hot water spout.

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
that is why I avoid Thermos makers, and I think I will have to chose this sunday some expensive coffee vending machine but only one, put it in best selling shop, and see if it is right choice. if good results, then could try others too.
And a question: Bean to cup models (with integrated grinders) are good solution or extra problems because of grinders? What machines (fully automatic) do you recommend? the criteria should be coffee quality and machines stable performance.