Coffee Equipment Package

espressimon

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am currently working on starting a cafe and have been doing some research on coffee machines and equipment. I wanted to hear from you some thoughts on the machines that I have picked out for my cafe.
My cafe will have a floor space of around 70 square meters and we expect to serve around 100 customers a day and slowly climb to 300 customers/day.

Here are the list of equipment that I am considering:

1) Espresso machine
Aurelia II vs Appia II
I am leaning towards Appia II as the cost difference is quite high.

2) Grinder
Mazzer Major vs Mazzer Kony
There doesn't seem to be a consensus that Kony is in fact a better machine than Major.
I understand that there might be some benefits from using conical burr but I am leaning towards Major at this point.

3) Blender
Vitamix The Quite One vs Drink Machine Advance 5086
Although I love how the fact that The Quite One has the sound cover, it is twice as expensive as the other model. So I am leaning towards Vitamix 5086.

Please feel free to leave your thoughts on what I have decided above and also feel free to recommend any other machines you think would suit my needs. Lastly, if anyone has suggestions for Coffee Brewing machine, please make that recommendation also.

Thank you all for your help :wink:

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
1) Espresso machine
Aurelia II vs Appia II
I am leaning towards Appia II as the cost difference is quite high.

Go with the Appia II, save your money because you don't need bells and whistles to get your store open.

2) Grinder
Mazzer Major vs Mazzer Kony
There doesn't seem to be a consensus that Kony is in fact a better machine than Major.
I understand that there might be some benefits from using conical burr but I am leaning towards Major at this point.
I would look at the Major Electronic or the Robur Electronic. You'll have a cost savings on how much espresso you'll be wasting from spillage over the traditional doser. The bigger the burr the faster the grinder will do it's job. The drawback to going to a doserless is espresso grinding time. So The Major will grind a double shot around 5 to 6 seconds. The Robur will do it around 3 to 5 seconds. This may not seem like a lot of savings in time for the price increase but when you're trying to make several shots for a line of people waiting 5 to 6 seconds for a shot to grind will seem like an eternity.

3) Blender
Vitamix The Quite One vs Drink Machine Advance 5086
Although I love how the fact that The Quite One has the sound cover, it is twice as expensive as the other model. So I am leaning towards Vitamix 5086.
Trust when I say you'll regret not buying the model that is twice as expensive. The number one complaint in most coffee shops is the noise level produced by the equipment behind the bar. In the summertime when you're busy bumping out blended drinks and it seems like your blender never shuts off, you'll appreciate that grinder that cuts the noise level almost in half. I would also suggest you take a look at the Blendtec Stealth, its roughly just as quiet as the Vitamix and has a few options that might make or break it for you!

https://primasupply.com/learn/video...ndtec-stealth-blender-comparison#.ViUgTvmrQdU

Last edited:

espressimon

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Thank you CCafe for your detailed response.
Is there a big difference in the quality of espresso produced between Aurelia II and Appia II?
I am raising this question because other people I have spoken to told me to save on other things but not on the espresso machine and so my opinion is torn...
Also, would you be able to suggest a good model for Drip Coffee Maker? I have looked into Bunn, Fetco and Curtis but I am having difficulty deciding on which one to go with.
There seems not to be as much information on the drip coffee maker as on the espresso machine.
Thanks again for your help :)

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
There will always be people who will tell you that one machine will make a better espresso than another. The truth however is that both machines will make the same espresso. The Aurelia will have a few more electronic toys such as a display, LED lights, autosteam arm, and a built in PID which allows you to dial your boiler temperature down to the a precise temperature to the point of a tenth of a degree.

Do you need these improvements to make good espresso...NOPE. These improvements are here because people have been modifying their espresso machines for the last 30 years. They have added everything from lights to display systems that show them all the info that their hearts desire. Honestly most of it is bunk. The sad truth is the manufacturer's finally caught wind of all these enhancements and started offering them. You don't need them in order to make good espresso. I saw a taste test a while back where they made espresso on a $25K machine and a crappy little 1 group $1500 model and people couldn't tell the difference on the espresso. So if you can't tell on a blind taste test then it's obvious that you do not require a bells and whistle machine to make good espresso.

For drip I tell people the Bunn ICB DV. The single brewer can be both 120 or 240 volt, the twin version is just 240 volt. It's a great brewer and very simple to program. Both the Curtis and the Fetco you'll need a manual in front of you to program it on the fly. This is why I suggest a ICB as it is so dang easy to work with. What simply puts it over the top is the calibration system. Just run it, capture the water and tell the ICB how much you collected when it's done. After that the brewer makes all the changes to keep the water level at the top of the pot when brewing.

Coffeefix

Dec 17, 2014
United Kingdom
Visit site
CCafe... Wow, at last, someone who understands! Great advice.
I wish more people would learn how to set up and use a machine instead of thinking that by spending more on a "premium" * machine they will instantly be transported to world class Barista levels!

I called at a Coffeeshop earlier, big old twin boiler machine controlled by PID, the latest on demand grinder, barista with leather apron and a £100 tamp. I'm sure you know the sort. Espresso - it looked great apart from slight over-extraction (normal these days it seems) 1st sip - so sour and acidic it made me shudder. It truly tasted nothing like any coffee I've ever had before. "We sourced this amazing single variety arabica" I was told when I enquired. I said nothing and left, never to return.

Couldn't agree more about the blender - those things can be so noisy.

*Premium machine often means an old design + PID and a classy(?) name at a stupid price it seems...

espressimon

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Thank you very much CCafe & Coffeefix for your expertise.
I have made up my mind now thanks to you two and I am going with NS Appia II (surprise!!).
Although I am still a newbie I understand and agree with you on not needing the bells and whistles to make a good cup of coffee.
As for your recommendation on Bunn ICB DV, I am not too familiar with the model but I will do a thorough study of the machine before deciding :)
Thanks again for your clear answers and suggestions!!!!! Your coffee is on me if and when you do visit my coffee shop!