Coffee Fest Atlanta and Guatemala

jrojas576

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys! only 2 days away from my departure from Los Angeles and my way to Atlanta for the Coffee Festival!
I will then be flying the 8th to Guatemala city and spending the night with family.

Monday I will pick up the Mazda B60 2010 I have reserved incredibly inexpensive per day to begin my journey to
Antigua, Atitlan, San Marcos, Huehuetenango, and lastly Coban! I am searching for small and large farms mainly
family farms that are too small to operate on their own (for size description). I am hoping to learn a lot from them
and being around for the coffee process right at the source which is priceless as far as education goes. I will try to
source some coffee and aquire samples of 1-2 bags for a total of no more than 10 bags to bring back and experiment with
to determine which ones I would like to return to work with in large. Also send samples out to friends and local shops.

I still have not figured out the most inexpensive form of transportation of the product unfortunately but I am working on
it getting quotes and information from various shippers from Guatemala City to Los Angeles.

Any recommendations on what I should bring with me? Might spark a thought on something I have forgotten to pack lol

If anyone has shipped small quantities before let me know how, hope I don't have to settle with ordering 2 cubic meters
which is the estimate for a 500lb pallet on a boat since it will cause my plans to have to shift quite a bit since I am planning on
visiting other countries to learn and sample coffee before I commit to one or two farmers (starting small) the rest of my coffee
will come from green bean brokers already in the states.

Thanks guys!

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
small farms can not sell their coffees directly to you. they do not have exporting license, nor beneficio seco.
you need to pay and hire these companies to process their coffee from pergamino to exportation oro.

also, not to waste time, you need to cup the farms samples in their place and decide. however, i doubt that small farms have cupping roaster or labs.

20' container from puerto quetzal to LA is $1300 more or less.
i do not know how many quintals you want to buy, but better to bring them in by ocean.

i know quite a few forwarding company, so if you want, I can give you some info.

jrojas576

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Just saw this post disregard my last pm, I have also talked to an exporting company by boat to LA and they told me the same thing, the smaller farms won't have the license.
I have a sample roaster and cupping equipment in Guatemala fortunately the majority of my family is there so I have a lot of my stuff over there to save on travel weight and hassles.
would a company like yours allow me to hire you to export my coffee to LA Even if it's not your coffee I'm buying? Or would I need to purchase some of your coffee as well to get this service? I would very much like to work with you to figure something out. Or if you can give me forwarding companies info so I may contact them.
Thank you for your information!

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
hi. currently I am in China, so, I wont be attending Atlanta show.
sorry but we can not ship one pallet to USA from Guatemala via our company. you should know that Guatemala law is very sticky and complicated. if you use me, it will cost you much more than just using a good forwarding company. so, at this point in time, no reason to use us. long explanation, so rather avoid it.

below is forwarding company info.

SAC INTERNACIONAL, S.A.
19 Calle 13-53 Zona 10 Guatemala, CIUDAD
502) 2310 7474 to 81
Andrea Galindo / [email protected]

I would love to see you in Guatemala (our travel date overlaps 3 days both in Guatemala), but I have to be with my Australian customers and take them everywhere, so it will be difficult to see you.
However, if you want to come to my company to use cupping laboratory to cup your own samples, you are more than welcome to do so. I have a professional cupper in our company, so I can ask him to help you.

by the way, there is no obligation to buy coffee from me. nor you pay me for using the facilities or equipment. you are a coffee forum member and I will be more than happy to help you as much as I can. just let me know when you are coming, then, I will make the arrangement to clear out the lab and have my people to greet you.

BTW, on Feb 15, Sunday, my customers and we are cupping about 15 samples in our company, from morning to ...until it finishes. So, if you want to come and watch and get the experience, more than welcome. Feb 15 is the only day that I will be in the office, while you are in Guatemala. then, off to travel, 24/7, 31, 168, 3.428... ha ha ha.

Best luck and wishes for your coffee quest.

PS: some advise for you : please rent 4x4 (six cylinder if you are going to huehue), never 2x2.

be careful buying coffee from Antigua. Antigua coffee without APCA certificate kind of useless for sales marketing. and expect their price to be double or triple the price of other farms.

watch out for the quality of atitlan. they will be in last cosecha which means low quality.

Coban : I suggest not to go. too far, too dangerous and coban coffee is not well known nor well cupped. since your time is limited and this trip will cost you two full days.

Huehue has the best coffee for the money. Stick to huehue. Good luck

Last edited:

jrojas576

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Your generosity is out of this world thank you so MUCH for all of your help, suggestions, and offerings. I am quite surprised at the support I have gotten from people on this forum, on social medial, and through other sources. I was born in the capital of Guatemala and came to the US when I was 7 years old only to return to my home country April 2013.

Now that I have a chance to return to my country and create a business that primarily focuses on my home, culture, family and friends I will do the best that I can to represent our people. I am looking to help the community as much as possible since I wish that I can one day return to retire there and for it to be safer for everyone.

I would absolutely love to meet your cupper and your facilities if possible and shoot some video about the coffee culture in the country first hand from one of your experts to create a short clip about my trip and continue to spread the word about Guatemalan coffee, even learn a thing or two from him and compensate him for his time as well since I do not want him to be helping me on your time for your company that you are paying. If this would be possible this coming Monday so that he can also suggest places to go, places to avoid, and help me learn more about what I am trying to do before I set off blindly.

Thank you again for all of your help and suggestions, hope we can meet at some point hopefully the to watch and learn during the cupping.

Josue Rojas

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
hello Josue Rojas,
thanks for message and kind words. Coffee world is very small, specially in Guatemala. really everyone knows everyone.

you said that you want to visit our company on Monday, Feb 9. Do you even know where our company is located at? :+)
my company is at Quetzaltenango (aka Xela. second largest city in Guatemala with 600K population). that is about 5 hours driving north-east from Guatemala city. our city is on the way from Guatemala city to Huehue. from our city to huehue is about 2 to 2.5 hours. which makes 7 to 7.5 hours (if there is no problem with traffic or road conditions or rain...etc) from Guatemala city to huehue.

between Guatemala city and Xela, there are antigua & acatenango & atitlan. San marco is way to the east, about anther 2 hours from Xela.
Coban? forget about it. that is even way out to the west from all other coffee regions.

So, Josue, you are a brave man to do this on your own, but you must plan very carefully. specially small farms in the mountains are very dangerous, road condition wise. for me, many times, it takes ALL DAY to visit only one farm in huehue due to long drive and road conditions. in those areas, you have to assume that it will take you 4 hours to go 40 kilometers..... I am not kidding, Josue. and one wrong move, then, you are off the road in the mountain to the deep valley. even for me, there are many occasions that got me into very sticky and dangerous situation up on the mountain.

when you are in Guatemala and when you are going thru Xela to visit my company next week, please give a call to my socio, Daniel Yancor.

if you can tell me later on exactly what date you are coming to my company, I will let Daniel know about this in advance. He can point you in all the right directions. but you must let me know the exact date and time. this is harvest season, so everyone is very busy. I will give him a call and tell him that you are my good friend, so he will take you in and show you around and give you all the advice you need. okay?

below is our company contact info page. there is the photos, phone #, address..etc.

Contact

thanks.
BTW, My name is Alex Yoon (No, I am not Guatemalan :+) Born and educated in Korea up to high school. living in Los Angeles last many decades. But all my life, I always worked in Latin countries and in China. So, I am not so sure what I am. I have four different cultures / languages in me.
Right now, I have a coffee company & school & farms in Xela, Guatemala. Another company in China (coffee & electronic business) that is why I am here in China now. and going back to LA tomorrow. finally!!!!!!!

jrojas576

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your reply! Coffee fest has been amazing and opened a lot of opportunities for me as well as knowledge.

I have reconsidered my plan and will take this slower (I tend to job rather quickly at things, you can say I live for the adventure haha). I will be visiting farms with the
staff from Thrive coffee (hopefully) after meeting them tomorrow morning for a private tasting they are holding here in Georgia and thanks to a very kind rep they had at their booth.

I will be landing Sunday and getting myself situated and leaving Monday to get closer to you so I can safely say that if Tuesday the 10th is a good day for your staff at noon that would be perfect!

Hahaha wow you're a busy man and a hard worker! Hope to meet you sometime in the future!

Josue

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your reply! Coffee fest has been amazing and opened a lot of opportunities for me as well as knowledge.

I have reconsidered my plan and will take this slower (I tend to job rather quickly at things, you can say I live for the adventure haha). I will be visiting farms with the
staff from Thrive coffee (hopefully) after meeting them tomorrow morning for a private tasting they are holding here in Georgia and thanks to a very kind rep they had at their booth.

I will be landing Sunday and getting myself situated and leaving Monday to get closer to you so I can safely say that if Tuesday the 10th is a good day for your staff at noon that would be perfect!

Hahaha wow you're a busy man and a hard worker! Hope to meet you sometime in the future!

Josue

hello Josue, how are you? I just advised my people, Daniel and Yesica. when you get to Guatemala about to visit Xela, you can give Daniel a call first. I told him that he can give you advises on farms and regions, where to go, what to do and what not to do. just ask him away. secondly, if you have something to roast or cup from other farms, we will lend you the space for few hours.
thank you and good luck to you.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
hello Josue,

as you may or may not know, volcano erupted from "fire volcano" in Antigua, Guatemala yesterday.

Guatemala's Fire Volcano spews rock and ash, dusting homes in Antigua as officials issue alert | Fox News

so, even the airport in Guatemala city closed down today and for few more next days due to ashes and smokes.
Probably your flight will be cancelled tomorrow...not so sure.
anyway, best of luck to you and when you get there sometime next few days, just let me know what is going on.

what a timing!!!!!
I am also supposed to fly down there this Friday and not so sure what is going to happen....

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Alex,

It sure seems like you manage to have some extrordinary adventures wherever you go.

Either it's "right place, right time," or it's "wrong place, wrong time."

I hope the rest of your trip is smooth sailing.

Rose

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
thanks for kind words, P.Rose.
yes, i believe that this trip will be very interesting and also beneficial, not just for me, but our entire staff.
I will be staying one full month (more than ever before) because four of my int'l customers are coming in all different times which means that I have to take them to same farms and places 3 to 4 different times during one month. that could be very challenging, I think. (driving will be unbelievable, at least 5 to 7 hours a day)

Anyway, for our company, it is very good news that they are willing to fly over from Taiwan / Australia..etc just to see us and visit the farms we represent.

Hopefully, i can take whole bunch of photos and have a lot of interesting experiences in this trip. (I will post them in this forum as much as I can).

thanks Rose.