Coffee/food business consultant in North California (old thread from 2005)

eric4568

Feb 2, 2005
SF Bay Area
Visit site
Anyone knows or can recommend a coffee / food business consultant in North California. I’m seriously thinking to open up a coffee shop in San Francisco Bay Area, and I have a lot of questions. Really need to discuss with someone with the experience.
I have read some books and study a lot of information online already. But I have no coffee shop experience, only worked in a restaurant while I’m in school more than 10 years ago. Any input or suggestions will be great. Many thanks.

Eric :?

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
You may wan to come out to the Western Regional Barista Competition, being held this February 18-20 at the Roshambo Winery in Healdsburg. A number of industry advisers including myself will be on-hand to judge the competition, and you'll have an opportunity to see some of the best baristi in the business do their thing. I anticipate that you will have plenty of time to speak aside with the judges based on the current event schedule.

You can find details about the competition here, on the Taylor Maid Farms website.

Best of success,

Andrew

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
Its a great idea to go work for a cafe (preferrably busy and succesful first)
Nothing like cutting your teeth on someone elses time.
Youll get an idea of the pressure, and systems as well as learning the fundamentals.

eric4568

Feb 2, 2005
SF Bay Area
Visit site
Thanks for all the good advises.

At this point, I’m actually worrying about the pressure to open up a shop and running the operation down the road. For that, I don’t think getting a part time job will help too much, although it is a good way to learn and experiment with coffee making.

I will definitely go to the Western Regional Barista Competition on 2/119. Hope to meet you there Andrew.

Really appreciate all the advices from everyone. I’m just a little bit surprise, for such a large metropolitan area (San Francisco) with so many coffee shops; it is not easy to find a professional consultant specializing in coffee business. May be that is a better business to go into :grin: just kidding… Coffee shop, coffee shop, coffee shop… :)

Eric