Coffee Grinder for Small Scale Business

Sage

May 1, 2009
Visit site
Hello guys

i'm starting a small scale coffee processing business. like 50kg/day production. since mazzer has made its name as one of the best grinders, i was thinking if a mazzer super jolly can do the job for me. I saw a super jolly for grocery (it has no dozer) in the Mazzer's website.

Can you guys give comments about the mazzer super jolly if it can do 50kg/day? and if not, can you give me other options?

tletourneau

Sep 9, 2008
MN
Visit site
It could do that volume but you'd be looking at between 3 and a half to over 5 hours to do it. You may be better off with a larger model Mazzer such as a Major that could cut the time in half or more or a DR100 which is faster yet. Do you want to spend all of your time grinding? Remember that there are other brands like Ditting and Mahlkonig to choose from also a Ditting KFA1403 would make short work of that volume of coffee.

Sage

May 1, 2009
Visit site
time wouldn't be a problem because i will have people to work for me for 8 whole hours. And of course, if mazzer jolly can do it (as what you've said :) Thank you for this :) ) i'll be buying another mazzer jolly after 6 months. better to have 2 grinders rather than to have only one.

thank you tletourneau. :)

oh, is there a small, like, a mini destoner? coz i cant afford those huge machines.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
You have to remember though there is a duty cycle and your smaller grinders are not designed to run hours on end at a time. If I remember right Mazzer even dictates how much time one can run before you must let it rest and cool down.

The other thing you have to remember is your burrs on these machines are designed to minimally heat the coffee while grinding. But if you have ever ran one longer then a few minutes you'll find the burrs will start heating up pretty quickly and that is a bad thing.

Mazzer makes bigger grinders that are designed to do what you want. When you compare the burr size of a Super Jolly 64mm and a Major 83mm there really is not much more grinding surface. The DR100 has a 100mm burr and the Zar comes with 120mm or 140mm depending on what phase you choose. You compare a Super Jolly to Zar and you can see why the Zar is built for bulk grinding.

Sage

May 1, 2009
Visit site
hmmm.. good point. i'll try to research more about the mazzer major. i woul really like to go for the DR100 or even the Zar but the budget is not enough for those machines. maybe after 6 months or a year depending on how the business will grow.

CMT

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
Can't speak to the Mazzer but I know the Rancilio MD 80 can produce upwards of I think 30 pounds per hour, 4 hours = 120 pounds, or over 50 kgs.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
What part about the last post didn't you understand CMT. Espresso grinders are not designed to run hours on end. I know I throw 2 or 3 away every year because people leave them on overnight. Even though they have a thermal circuit built in to shut it down if it gets to hot, repeated abuses and your grinder motor will eventually give out. Oh and if your wondering why we wouldn't repair them. A new motor for most of these units runs around $400. By the time you figure up everything going in to the repair of the unit most people choose to purchase a new model.

I have a MD-40 in my collection right now where the motor starts overheating after about being on 2 minutes. I now use it for in-shop testing of traditional equipment.

You can buy a decent Bunn G2 or G3 bulk grinder for around $700 off the Internet new. When you have a little extra to blow then you can look in to the higher up models like a Ditting or a Mahlkonig bulk grinder.

Sage

May 1, 2009
Visit site
wow!! i did see the Ditting and the blades really look like the one they used with multipurpose grinders here in the philippines. Thanks for the advice Ccafe

kanacubancoffee

May 14, 2009
Visit site
In our warehouse we use a Marathon Electric EVG which has worked pretty well for us, but it is definitely bulky and industrial which might be too big to serve your purposes.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
wmark said:
Pretty funny, guys offering up advice not knowing their ass from a hole in the ground.

First foray ? Grindmaster

Your comment is not appreciated. Yes you can use a Grindmaster we just didn't mention them. But since I haven't seen anything constructive from you that pertains to this post I'll just dismiss your comment.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
My point is this is an open discussion and everyone needs to keep an open mind when replying. Your comment was inappropriate at best. Next time point out the people in a quote and try a different path please.