coffee grinder

redmoose

Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
i just lost my coffe grinder and i have this coffee from turkey my friend brought me back. what is a good grinder? mine was old school. put the beans in and press the button to grind. any one know of any both good and cheap but even expensive ones i would like to know. also one that has a good over all grind so it doesent get chunky

thanx
~redmoose~

ourcoffeebarn

Nov 8, 2004
Wisconsin
Visit site
The Solis Maestro line of grinders is the line that I would suggest. They range from $99.99 to $149.99. We have benn using the Solis Maestro plus for almost 2 years now and it is still grinding great. Any grind from Turkish powder to a very coarse French Press grind. Do a Goggle search or better yet do a Froogle search to find one.
Lot's of us sell them online.

I have a Solis Maestro at home and agree with Barn that it is a great choice for home use. Not sure tha tthe price range is what you're looking for.

The core attribute you want to look for is a burr grinder (same principle as a pepper grinder) not blades. With a burr grinder, you'll get more consistent sized grounds so the coffee will brew evenly (different size pieces will give you a cup with both over- and under- extracted coffee for a mix of weak and bitter all in the same cup).

The next thing you'll want to look for, especially if you're planning to make your turkish coffee the turkish way is adjustability. Turkish ground is very fine - finer than espresso. French press is very coarse - you will probably want the whole range.

You can get a good, but not great burr grinder from many different manufacturers. In addition to the Solis, which I use for espresso, I have a Capresso at home for drip coffee that cost about half of the Solis.

If you want some style and don't mind a little work for your morning brew, get yourself a Zassenhaus grinder. Zassenhaus makes pepper grinders, too, and they have top notch quality. But it is manual. Not great for catering.

Good luck. Let us know what you end up with.