Coffee History: Setting the Record Straight

Barry Foy

Apr 8, 2008
Visit site
I never cease to be amazed at the way the same tired old litany of \"facts\" about the origins of coffee is endlessly trotted out and recycled. In a spirit of selfless public service, I''ve decided to do my bit to clear the air. The current \"coffee\" entry at www.devilsfooddictionary.com will go far, I hope, toward remedying the troubling ignorance on the part of both coffee aficionados and the general public.

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
I just came to the forum for a little cheering up and found this guy's food dictionary. At first, I figured this guy was a snob, or even worse, a coffee snob.

There's a certain natural high that comes from humor and just laughing out loud. This dictionary is absolutely rich in creative sarcasm.

I know this isn't as coffee-related as we'd like, but here are some of my faves:

omelet pan - A pan somewhat larger than an omelet, often with an omelet in it.

maize - An intricate, intentionally confusing network of pathways cut into a field of corn.

eel - Half fish and half snake (these proportions are reversed below the equator), the eel is a source of rich, succulent meat enjoyed by many
nationalities, though not Americans, who prefer peanut butter. Eels have notoriously slippery skin, and a good deal of expertise is
required when handling and butchering them. In countries such as Japan, the slime is removed mechanically, for use in the manufacture of okra.

focaccia - An oiled, salted Italian bread whose name would be much harder to pronounce if it were spelled cfacciocai.

farmers market - An open-air, producer-run food outlet whose minimal infrastructure, absence of middlemen, and other cost-cutting measures make
it possible for vendors to charge higher prices than in supermarkets

rosemary - One of the few food names also suited to human beings, in this case female. Women named Rosemary are reputed to go well
with women named Roast Leg of Lamb.

Thanks Barry Foy for making my day. :D

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
I agree, humour helps the world go round....too many people in Coffee can have a serious "sense of humour failure" over some relatively minor things.

I am awaiting the complaints about my Blap series and other humorous cartoons about coffee....I mean I think they are funny, but people are strange. :-D

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Tuesday Hello!

Ed.... Did you really need a little cheering up after having the whole day off yesterday to play at the food expo? Drinking brews and sampling coffees and all sorts of food doesn't sound like a bad way to spend a Monday.

I'm glad my name is just Rose instead of "Rosemary - One of the few food names also suited to human beings, in this case female. Women named Rosemary are reputed to go well with women named Roast Leg of Lamb."

Rose

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Rose (Not Rosemary),

I had just finished some agonizing paperwork for the FDA for their bioterrorism preparedness gimmick, I mean, act, or whatever it's called, to protect the food chain, yadda, yadda, yadda, and I almost committed suicide/just kidding, over it all.

Yep, then I find a little laughter in a coffee forum, that makes all of the frustrations and craziness of trying to run a business, seem trivial.

It's all good now......... :D

Tell me about it :twisted: the FDA prior notification system drives me crazy every time I send a shipment off the the States. It was last updated in Nov 07, and while a bit easier to use than when it was set up, it still is demanding enough for someone who has Engish as their (supposed) first language! I too just completed time on line with this thing...time to go off for a well earned, well chilled, beer! :grin:

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Alun_evans said:
Tell me about it :twisted: the FDA prior notification system drives me crazy every time I send a shipment off the the States. It was last updated in Nov 07, and while a bit easier to use than when it was set up, it still is demanding enough for someone who has Engish as their (supposed) first language! I too just completed time on line with this thing...time to go off for a well earned, well chilled, beer! :grin:

Since you misspelled English I'm afraid the FDA has no choice but to make you fill out all those forms again or be denied passage! :twisted:

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
The time that one invests to share the gift of laughter should be appreciated.
Especially when it's done on their own dime. Since they seem to be a little modest, I decided to enter a couple of direct links for us to view.

This is a good cartoon on buying a coffee machine from a forum member, courtesy of Davec himself. He's done many more, check them out.
http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/blap9-cof ... e-for-sale

Here's the satirical food dictionary, courtesy of it's author, Barry Foy.
http://www.devilsfooddictionary.com/dfdarchive1.html

Enjoy! :D

nickmuso

Jan 7, 2008
UK
Visit site
caffe biscotto said:
I know people from Engand, and what a fine language Engish is.
It's often mixed with spinach and called Spengish. :D

The other parts of the UK apart from Engand are Scotand, Ireand, and Waes.
:lol:

nickmuso

Jan 7, 2008
UK
Visit site
Davec said:
nickmuso said:
caffe biscotto said:
I know people from Engand, and what a fine language Engish is.
It's often mixed with spinach and called Spengish. :D

The other parts of the UK apart from Engand are Scotand, Ireand, and Waes.
:lol:

You forgot the Channe Isands and the Ise of Man and also Gibrater and the Fakand Ises.

I don't know how I came to miss the last one as that's where I was born!