Coffee in america

MrBox

Feb 21, 2006
Statesboro, GA
Visit site
Why can't or doesn't coffee grow in the lower 48 states?

it seems to me that places in the southeast would be pretty similar to the caribbean in climate

My friend bought a coffee plant (lives in south georgia) a year or so ago I'm pretty sure its still live and kicking hasn't fruited yet.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I was so stoked when I moved to Boca...I saw the only mountains in Florida...when I saw them I told my wife, "I can grow coffee here" She looked at me like I was nuts...I assured her that the climate was perfect...and now I had the right alttitude....she said I was nuts....then I pointed her to Mount Boca...and she said shut up dumb ass thats the dump...sigh guess I wont make my millions as a coffee grower

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
why

coffee trees take two years to mature and will die with any hard freeze...ie 80 degrees F one day 24 F the next. They can take a gradual freeze but even this will highly damage your crops. While there are a few places in the US that this could be done it would be very costly and I doubt that you would be able to find any willing investers. I have been contemplating using a hydroponic system to grow a few plants but the cost would be so high I would have to charge around 150$/pound regardless of the quality of the beans produced. Gonna try it anyway with the help of some friends that never quit being stoners after school.
Also the industry has thus far been very leary of GM coffee plants and rightly so. What would happen if one of those strains of Japanese "naturally" decaf beans got loose. Is there a posibility it could influence the natural plants leading to a weaker brew. We just don't know. I think this kind of research should be focusing on making more temparature resistant strains so we could one day see something like the ice wines we see today. Tiny little beans packed to the gills with flavor.

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
etc

I would also be worried about what this would do to the economies of the countries that depend on the coffee trade to support their already sour GNP's. Columbia already hates us enough and we don't need them producing more hard drugs for our market.

Ellie

Dec 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
Topher,

That is too funny! I have seen the mount of which you speak. It's amazing!

About a year ago I read about someone who purchased a large area of land in south Fl, and somehow got some support or protection or something from the government to grow coffee. They would be the first coffee farm in the U.S. Don't know if it was Robusta (that would be my guess) or Arabica. You think they may be located on one of those south Fl mountains?

Ellie

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
remember the Kona

Don't forget that we do grow coffee in America...just not the lower 48. Soon we will take over Cuba and then we can all have cigar flavored coffee....mmmmm...smokey goodness. Don't think the US is up to/able to give any breaks to anybody doing experiments right now. Might want to contact the Chinese...we could always hit them up to build a mountain island in the Gulf of Mexico....we'll call it Argentexas.

BTW is there any coffee grown in China? Alun you know?

Yes the Chinese do produce a reasonable quantity of coffee. Mostly Arabica. There was an article published sometime back in Roast Magazine about the industry there...I am not too familiar with the quality or the cupping charatceristics of the coffee from there, but might try to get a roaster I know there to send me samples to try.

US COFFEE

hEY WHAT ABOUT ALASKAN COFFEE, WE ALWAYS GET KICKED OFF THE MAP. JUST LOOK AT YOUR ATLAS AK IS RIGHT NEXT TO HAWAII OFF THE CALIFORNIA COAST NEXT TO MECHICO?

BUT HEY i KNOW PLANTS ARE SURVIVING THANKS TO A FEW THINGS GLOBAL WARMING MAYBE BUT HYDROPONIC GEOTHERMALSOIL MASS YEP IT WORKS WINTER SUNLIGHT IS THE KICKER THOUGH, ONLY 5 HOURS OF GOOD LIGHT A DAY AT ITS SLOWEST. SO YES ANOTHER NON (48) STATEADDS INTREST TO THE GLOBAL COFFEE SCENE.

KALUKALUKE

DickStafford

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Commercial Coffee Growing DOES happen in the 48 contiguous states! Read... Yes indeed, commercial coffee is grown in Habersham, Georgia,USA just an hour north of Atlanta's I-285 on five acres of oak covered mountain land. The coffee grove is about 3-4 feet tall, is grown under the shade of oak trees 7&1/2 months of the year, and in winter in a special greenhouse, made specifically for coffee growing (sunlight, water, humidity, PH, wind, etc.) You can order our coffee from Copan, Honduras (which we package as Yonah Coffee here in the Georgia mountains), and when our Georgia grown coffee matures in 24 months, our own Georgia grown coffee will be available! First Georgia vineyards, now coffee! ~ Java Bear, President (Candelario & Richard)

Kave

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I am in Austalia, We grow great coffee and the market and variety is huge. I buy my coffee from Global Organic Coffee, they have a good range and their coffee tastes exceptional to any by far. Good Organics are taking over the world because of their simple goodness.

morry1981

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I have been using this Liven coffee..organic and new in the table because it is alkaline base from plants. Never a coffee lover but this coffee made me one. Bring it on your table. Liven coffee..