Coffee Industry Marketing

keys00

May 16, 2005
Visit site
I am looking to obtain data on the expected future of the coffee industry, particularly as it pertains to coffee brewing equipment. For example, is the coffee industry expected to grow or shrink at a certain rate? Is there anyone that knows of resources that would provide information regarding this? I am trying to develop a marketing plan that will require this information, but lack a good source.

Any help is certainly appreciated.

You probably don't want coffee industry overall. There are 2 big trends. Commercial grade coffee is declining at 3-5 percent a year. Specialty coffee is growing I think around 5-7 percent a year.

In specialty coffee, there are a bunch of single cup brewers in the market. So you can't throw all brewing into the same bucket. Commercial single pot brewers, commercial high volume, liquid coffee, residential pot, residential single cup, all the categories of espresso.

If I were you, I would get a subscription to Appliance magazine - you can sign up on line. In there they do surveys of different appliance categories. The current number of coffee machines sold per year in the US is about 17 to 17.5 million.

-James

keys00

May 16, 2005
Visit site
James - I am interested in commercial coffee equipment. I have looked at my latest edition of Appliance magazine and see the statistics that seem to pertain to home coffee equipment. You mentioned that commercial grade coffe is declining at 3-5% a year and specialty coffee is increasing. Did you get this info from Applicance Magazine or another source? I don't see it broken out this way in Appliance Magazine.

Thanks for your help!

neilt

May 23, 2005
Visit site
Coffeehouse sales up 77% since 1998. Will reach 6.9bil in 2003. 3600 new coffeehouses open per year, split 50-50 between indies and Starbucks. COffeehouse sales to increase by 46% by 2008.
From just-food.com 16 feb 2004.