Coffee Kiosk Startup

jnsellison

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I would really like some no nonsense comments on starting a Kiosk in a local Mall. There are four major department stores (Sears, Dillards, Maceys, and J.C. Penney), several smaller name-brand retail outlets, and a food court. However there is not a coffee outlet. There have been three attempts at a coffee related business in the past 15 years there but none were espresso based coffees, just brewed coffee sitting in a carafe, and none lasted more than a year.. The mall has good traffic and my location would be at the center hub of the mall. I plan to offer espresso based coffees along with a few other things. My space rent will run around 1.5k a month average. I plan to invest around 70K. I have calculated a profit margin of around 65%. I would like to know of similar operations, quantity of sales, difficulties, and any suggestions at all. Thanks, if all goes well I would like to open in March.

Zimmy

Dec 19, 2013
Chicago, IL
Visit site
what is your profit margin calculated on?

General profit margin for the industry when you are not your own roaster is more along the lines of 10%... and thats if you're running an optimized shop...

COGs~35%
Tax~10%
Fixed cost/Payroll~45%
Profit Margin~10%

Keep in mind these are down the road numbers... You need to make it through the first year or two building your brand...

Sounds like it could be a great opportunity!

jnsellison

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
what is your profit margin calculated on? General profit margin for the industry when you are not your own roaster is more along the lines of 10%... and thats if you're running an optimized shop... COGs~35% Tax~10% Fixed cost/Payroll~45% Profit Margin~10% Keep in mind these are down the road numbers... You need to make it through the first year or two building your brand... Sounds like it could be a great opportunity!
Profit based on COGS at 35% product sale Fixed Cost i.e. rent, internet, insurance Labor operating business myself until established.