Coffee Klatch Espresso Blend Review!!!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I recently decided to give Coffee Klatch beans a try to see how they compare with others. So I ordered three 1 lb. bags of their top espresso blends. The first was Belle Espresso, the second one was West Best Spro (or something like that) and the third one was their most recent WBC Championship blend. Even though it had nothing to do with the blends, because of their location it took the beans about 1 week after being roasted just to arrive. Starting to age before I was able to use them..... Anyway, I wasn't very impressed with any of the 3 blends. They were good, but not truly outstanding, but if I had received them a bit earlier that might have helped a bit. I gave them all the usual care and attention I give all my beans (they are expensive you know) and decided I wouldn't bother ordering from them again. Just not my taste....

Anyway, I've tried Black Cat and Kid O from Intelligentsia many, many times. Then Redline from Metropolis.... The blends from Coffee Klatch...... And my all-time favorite is still Espresso Toscano from Counter Culture Coffee. They are local to me and truly have outstanding taste, texture and consistency month after month. Later!

ElPugDiablo

shadow745 said:
I recently decided to give Coffee Klatch beans a try to see how they compare with others. So I ordered three 1 lb. bags of their top espresso blends. The first was Belle Espresso, the second one was West Best Spro (or something like that) and the third one was their most recent WBC Championship blend. Even though it had nothing to do with the blends, because of their location it took the beans about 1 week after being roasted just to arrive. Starting to age before I was able to use them..... Anyway, I wasn't very impressed with any of the 3 blends. They were good, but not truly outstanding, but if I had received them a bit earlier that might have helped a bit. I gave them all the usual care and attention I give all my beans (they are expensive you know) and decided I wouldn't bother ordering from them again. Just not my taste....

Anyway, I've tried Black Cat and Kid O from Intelligentsia many, many times. Then Redline from Metropolis.... The blends from Coffee Klatch...... And my all-time favorite is still Espresso Toscano from Counter Culture Coffee. They are local to me and truly have outstanding taste, texture and consistency month after month. Later!
I believe the recommended resting time for their coffees is about 7 days. I have tried Belle Espresso and their 2007 USBC blend and found them to be exceptional blends. What was your brewing temperature and extraction time?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Yeah pretty much any espresso blend is best to rest at least 4-5 days after roast.

Brewing temp. is around 201 and I never time a shot, as I feel there are so many variables involved in spro that one should never go strictly by time or volume. Once the puck is spent that's all she wrote, regardless of how long it takes and how much you have in the shot glass. People should really spend more time watching the color/texture and go by that instead of simply timing it. Just my opinion.

Have you tried Espresso Toscano from Counter Culture? If not, you should! I'm not trying to dog Klatch, just saying their blends didn't impress me as much as others have and they are 3,000 miles from me. Later!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
The 25-30 second "rule" is just for reference. There are too many variables in espresso (tamping, dosing, distribution, grind consistency, brew temperature, brew pressure, bean freshness, humidity, etc.) to have it exact every time. You can weigh the grounds, measure your tamping, try to dose and distribute the same every time, but no 2 shots will ever be exactly the same. Once the puck is spent that's it, regardless of whether it's 20 seconds or 45. I've had some shots go as long as 45 seconds or so and they were some of the best I've had. Then again I've had some go that long that were crappy. The key is to experiment with different grind settings, dosing, tamping, etc. until you find something that works for you, then stick with it. Later!

buzzski

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
This goes to show you that tastes differ....I've tried many a espresso blends and 2 of my favorite are the Klatch Belle and WBC....one of my least favorite is CC Toscano. Just need to try for yourself.