Coffee Maker Smells Like Body Odor?

FilthyRich

Jun 30, 2004
Visit site
I am not a coffee drinker, but I have a lot of respect for you guys. This forum is great. Here's my post:

I made a mysterious discovery this evening. My summer roommate is a slob and rarely cleans up after himself in the kitchen. He has left town for the week and also left a mess in the kitchen. Part of the mess is his coffee maker. I opened it up and found week-old coffee remains in the form of coagulated coffee and moldy coffee grounds. I'm used to it - no big deal. But here's the odd thing: the coffee maker carafe smells like human body odor! So I scrubbed it as hard as I could with Palmolive and my dish sponge, but the smell still remained. So I just ran it through the dishwasher on the most powerful setting with lots of Cascade Complete, and it still smells like BO!

Is this a characteristic of rotten coffee? Is it normal for old coffee or old coffee maker components to smell like body odor?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,
The Roommate Who Cleaned Too Much

donlp37

Feb 15, 2004
Nashville
Visit site
Looks like your coffee pot probably has some nasty calcified deposits on it. Unfortunately, the usual household stuff will not get this off. Many grocers carry a decalcifier in their coffee section, but if you can't find it , I'd probably just buy a new pot. Many of the name brand cleaners cost more, and it would be just as cost effective to buy a new pot.

sumocomputers

Feb 21, 2004
Visit site
Probably one of two things happened:

Your roommate worked out regularly while standing over the coffee pot.

The plastic is giving off the odor.

In either case, it is probably most cost effective to buy another coffee pot.