coffee makers

JAXMTCH

Oct 13, 2006
Visit site
On the subject of coffee makers, here is my criteria:

It has to be a percolator, not a drip. I would rather drink instant coffee than drip coffee. Reason is that with a drip coffee maker, the water goes through the grounds only once and does not get the full flavor of the coffee. With a percolator, the water goes through the grounds several times, getting the full flavor of the coffee.

It has to be an aluminum or glass. Coffee made in a stainless steel has a metal taste that you won't get with a aluminum or glass pot.

With that being said, the best coffee percolator I have found is the West Bend model # 54129. Now if I can only find one like this that runs on 220 volts for when I'm overseas.

mrgnomer

Jan 22, 2006
Canada
Visit site
Have you considered a french press? Good fresh roast evenly ground and water just under boiling temp is all you'll need. You can control the extraction by grind fineness and steep time. A lot of fps are made of glass. You can pick up a small kettle over seas.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
JAXMTCH said:
On the subject of coffee makers, here is my criteria:

It has to be a percolator, not a drip. I would rather drink instant coffee than drip coffee. Reason is that with a drip coffee maker, the water goes through the grounds only once and does not get the full flavor of the coffee. With a percolator, the water goes through the grounds several times, getting the full flavor of the coffee.

The main problem with a percolator is that it over extracts flavour from the coffee. This gives you both the desirable and undesirable portions of the extraction.

If you have a friend with an Espresso machine try an experiment. Take 3 shot glasses and as your pulling a single shot, change the shotglasses to get 1/2 oz of the extraction in each. You will end up with a total of 1.5 oz split into 3 glasses. The last 1/2 oz is obviously over extraction as you would nrmally only extract 1oz

Then taste each one. When you get to the last one, you will taste why prehaps percolators are not a great idea.

morrisn

Mar 27, 2006
Visit site
A percolator is usually looked at to be the worst way to make coffee due to over extraction and if you look at any professional brewing equipment it is always stainless but everybody to their own tastes. I agree with the previous post, try a french press, it will produce the best quality cup for your application once you get your coffee and water ratio correct. The biggest mistake most people make is trying to use to little coffee.