coffee makes me angry

theboogieman

Feb 23, 2004
Everett, WA
Visit site
:evil:

When I am riding a coffee buzz I quite often get irritable. I do believe that the drug and the energy it gives you can lead you to a hostile attitude and somtimes make people go nuts, road rage, loud mouth assholism etc.

Rowley

Mar 7, 2003
California
Visit site
Caffeine is commonly associated anxiety, which could easly trigger an angry or assholish attitude when you feel uncomfortable.

I didn't read this from a study either, it was my life when I was 16-18. I calmed down when I cut back on the coffee and sodas.

Try explaining to lay off the caffeine to someone who is coffee buzzing your ear off.

wrotek3

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Yeah it is interesting that people consume substance that has so many negative emotional effects. Who like to feel anxiety or anger ?

alphawave7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I get irritable when I DON'T get my morning doses. :p Like any drug, managing your addiction is crucial to how it affects your behaviour. Moderation has worked best for me. I try not to drink 'spro at night, but there are times when it soothes me, instead of causing anxiety/sleeplessness...depends on my frame of mind. :)

Last edited:

JavaRob

Mar 24, 2011
El Paso, TX
Visit site
Yup. Caffeine is an addictive substance. Like with most other addictions, some people don't handle it well. No food or drink has ever made me irratable if I don't have it or have to much of it. Well except for maybe Oreo cookies. :smile:

SuperInfinity

Dec 29, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure I can believe this. If you are angry TC it's because you have issues of your own (no offence), don't try to blame it on coffee.

Most people get irritable when they haven't had their coffee. But I've never heard of people being irritable AFTER coffee.

EDIT: He made this topic nearly 7 years ago... lol.

alsterling

Aug 11, 2006
Dana Point, CA
Visit site
Boogieman isn't alone. While I'd agree that we do have to take responsibility for our own actions, and reactions, there are those that, when they have frustrations and concerns, sometimes minor or many times major, can be pushed "over the edge" by coffee, and for that matter, a number of food items that alter our "baseline" physiology. I won't recite the physiological issues, as I'm not qualified, but I'll presume it has alot to do with the caffine, and how it causes our systems to "accelerate", so to speak. But I know "the issue" to which BMan refers. I have some friends that can drink multiple straight shots and not be affected at all. And I KNOW they've got issues with which they're dealing. I'm on the "inside" of the specialty coffee industry circle, and frankly, I'm a bit allergic, and more sensitive, to the caffine than most of my non-coffee industry friends. (it's like letting the kids have pet cats... and being allergic to the cat hair!) Coffee does change my body chemistry, and can alter my level of tolerance, so to speak. I suppose, the responsible approach when we know ourselves well enough, is to be mindful of what coffee can do, and drink accordingly. (I'm guessing this falls into the category of "...don't blame the drug, blame the user?")

Last edited:

tinninches

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I get irritable when I DON'T get my morning doses.

^^^This

I went on a "lifestyle change" just over 1 year ago instead of a diet that included cutting out soda. At the time, my biggest vice (ice cream a very very close 2nd). I'm now just a 1 8oz cup of OJ in the morning, 2-3 cups of coffee and 1/2 gallon of water per day, kinda joe.

I could go w/out the water and glass of oj, but the coffee.....not-so-much. That would make me an angry person by not having at least 1 cup.

:coffee:

alphawave7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
EssEff cabbies make me angry...it's the caffeine that allows me to see them as tolerable. /I race'em and win! :p

Like Al said above, we're all wired slightly differently according to our specific tolerance for caffeine, which easily crosses the blood-brain barrier. Like so many physchoactive drugs, it will enhance whatever attitude and activity you are already advancing when you ingest it. Do good, and use in moderation, know your limits, and things will be fine. No irritation or anger necessary. :D