coffee shop on college campus

ahmednc

Apr 16, 2004
NC
Visit site
Hi all:

I just found out about a 760 sq. F rental space. The rent is gonna be US $1250/month. Its located by a busy pizza place and on the main street on a large college campus.

I have many concerns. But my first concern is there are already quite a few coffee shops including Star Bucks. I do plan to have unique items that these coffee shops don't offer. But still, I worry about survival.

I have been reading books and doing research. I still don't have a clear idea as to what kind of money I will need to start this coffee bar. Would someone contact me via email and perhaps give me some practical advice. I would appreciate it so much.

Thanks in advance and I would appreciate any feedback.

ahmed
[email protected]

coffeeman

Apr 11, 2004
Visit site
I have to disagree with outfitters..
many peope think it takes alot of cash to open a successful cafe..
thats not true..
im sure you know, all the cool busy cafes look secondhand or like someones cool living room! why is that?? becuase its cool!! and its different!
you can open a cafe for 50 grand which can compete VERY WELL!!
you could acually slash the competition around you.. UNI towns.
are great make it cool, unique, a place to come and feel relaxed in nothing too intimidating , you know what I mean.. just make it cool!
a place where kids want to hang out in!
believe it or not! most kids dont want to hang out in STARBUCKS!

coffeejerk

Apr 25, 2004
California
Visit site
thats THE TOUGH PART!!!!!

EspressoOutfitters said:
Well, this is the main passion behind myself as a kiosk and cart builder, I like cool, the more challenging the design, the better I like it. I think your point was to make an impact, set yourself aside from the competition and show off a bit more then everybody else. That combined with a quality product and service is a good formula for success.

Man, I tell you with out a doubt. Many (myself included) to some degree or another look the same. Unfortunatley thats sort of what the market dicates to us. PIPEDREAM what if we dictaed to the market? LOL

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey coffeejerk:

I viewed your site. Very interesting :shock: . One question though...In your demo section you have a La Pavoni burr grinder for sale. It says regular price $102.00 USD on sale for $149.99 USD. I'm not sure, but that doesn't sound like much of a sale :oops: You might want to correct that.

coffeejerk

Apr 25, 2004
California
Visit site
glasses! glasses!

Coffee Guy said:
Hey coffeejerk:

I viewed your site. Very interesting :shock: . One question though...In your demo section you have a La Pavoni burr grinder for sale. It says regular price $102.00 USD on sale for $149.99 USD. I'm not sure, but that doesn't sound like much of a sale :oops: You might want to correct that.

thanks..man..i do make mistakes..i'm sure there a lot...it is $192. the line almost makes it look like $102.

IF find others..feel free to let me know...check your glasses first ! LOL

dave