Coffee Shop that emphasizes live music as well

JBroad572

Jun 8, 2006
Visit site
Hello,
I am new to the forums and have this great idea to open a coffee house/lounge that has a nice setup for live music. Specifically, open poetry, jazz music, even a jam session every now and again on Thur- Sat. Has anyone else done this? I was thinking about a location that holds 150-200 with a real nice contemporary jazz theme. There is nothing like that here where I'm located and I feel that it could really be successful. I presented the idea to my family and they like it as well. I know nothing about coffee except that I enjoy drinking it. So, of course I have quite a bit of research and learning to do. Has anyone else done something similar?

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
JBroad572 said:
Hello,
Has anyone else done this?

There is nothing like that here where I'm located and I feel that it could really be successful.

Where are you writing from? In most cities in America it is difficult to find a coffee shop that does not do this! :) ...not that it's a bad idea; I was just surprised by the statement.

JBroad572

Jun 8, 2006
Visit site
cafemakers said:
JBroad572 said:
Hello,

There is nothing like that here where I'm located and I feel that it could really be successful.

Where are you writing from? In most cities in America it is difficult to find a coffee shop that does not do this! :) ...not that it's a bad idea; I was just surprised by the statement.
Tulsa, OK

JBroad572

Jun 8, 2006
Visit site
cafemakers said:
JBroad572 said:
Hello,

Or perhaps, I'm just not aware of them... but I have only seen one that is very small.

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Tulsa, eh? Hmm. Interesting.

Well, I've seen this type of concept be successful in Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas to one degree or another, so I suspect that the time has come for Oklahoma!

Muddycup

Dec 4, 2005
New York
Visit site
we have been doing live music and open mics as wll as other programing for the last six years with multiple locations. If you have a seperate room it works great it helps bring customers in during the night time hours

There alot of issues and rules that go along with having events so plan wisely.

Panini Guy

Apr 24, 2006
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Some things to ponder:

1. Generally speaking, people go to coffeehouses for coffee and conversation, not the music.
2. Good jazz isn't cheap.
3. Neither are ASCAP and BMI licenses (and possibly SESAC). If you're looking at 100+ seats, expect to pay through the nose for live and recorded music.

Not saying don't do it. But don't do it blindly.

Muddycup

Dec 4, 2005
New York
Visit site
a couple of counter points:

People go to coffee house for coffee, conversation and entertainment when provided in a way does not disturb the other group.
The albany store had 150 people for open mic last night

Good Jazz can often times be free

Licenses are not required if your performers are playing original music and less of an issue if you are not charging for the performances and providing them in an informal enviroment.

Alot of musicians are just greatful for a place to play.

kimbica

May 1, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
live music

JBroad572,

Make sure the locations you are considering are not too big in terms of rent per square foot to make it reasonable to be profitable. I went to a major seminar recently, at a CoffeeFest, and the instructors emphasized that most of our business, about 70-80%, will be between the hours of 5am-12 noon in the specialty coffee field. Evenings can be great to add to your profits, but where I live one cannot usually afford a huge space that can seat that many people unless the volume even in the AM is huge as well. Just passing on what "experts" have told me.

Good luck and have fun with the live music! Many of us want this to be a part of our coffee house ownership experience!

-Kimbica

DCC_2006

Jun 12, 2006
Visit site
This is also done in our town, mostly in the downtown locations. It seems to work quite well here. Different evenings have different themes, etc..

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
good look

for a good look at a larger scale music/coffee venue check out Ruta Maya in Austin(http://rutamaya.net/). They ended up doing more of a bar scene at night but are stricktly coffee/roasting in the morning and afternon. They did have a fairly well known name here in town before going larger but only had acoustic music at a smaller location down town.