Coffee Table w/coffee beans

jkschwegman

Mar 29, 2007
Visit site
I saw a coffee table where underneath the glass there were actual coffee beans. I know that coffee beans lose their flavor after a certain amount of time, but will they rot? Basically, how often would I have to replace them if I do this, or would I have to replace them at all?

psycho supreme

Jan 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm not too sure on this one. I rarely have a bag of coffee in my house for more than 3 weeks at a time.

Let alone leave them out for an extended period of time.

HOWEVER, maybe if you seal the area off under the glass like a picture frame, it would work. Or even, just use a large picture of beans underneath to be on the safe side.

-Matt

CafeBlue

Dec 8, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
Coffee table

Reminds me of Kramer's "coffee table" book. :)
Maybe you should also put a coffee book under or on top of the glass?

The dark roasted, oily coffee beans (black) will turn dull and matte surface as the oils break down and re-absorb into the beans. The lighter roasted (brown) coffee will age well. Green coffee fades (higher grown, harder beans fade slower than low-grown seeds) = first losing green vibrancy, then becoming more beige/yellow. Monsooned green coffee is already faded to about the limit. Parchment coffee lasts pretty well = only fades from yellow/beige to paler white-ish/beige. Natural process (dry prep.) coffees age well = whether seeds, complete cherry or broken husks.

Air, direct sunlight and hot lights will accelerate the aging, while flourescent lighting has little impact.
I have not tried this, but the epoxy stuff (extra-thick polyurethane types of woodfinish) that was popular table coating material might slow the aging process (except for sunlight fading).
A friendly roaster might offer you a low cost for stale "waste" inventory, which might not fade much more.

Good luck with your project ~> post a photo of your finished table!

ourcoffeebarn

Nov 8, 2004
Wisconsin
Visit site
I went in Partners with my Brother in-law to try and build some, all we got was 2 proto types. I did a sales counter the same way. Green in front of the roasted beans. It has been 4 years and they still look GREAT!
Here is a picture of the small table on top of the sales counter in my roasting barn.

coffee_table%20001.jpg

Easy enough to change beans too just take off the glass, vacuum up the old then put in new ones. I get a comment out of everyone that sees them!

The small table is now in our Home Office with coffee publications setting on it for the coffee coffee table with coffee magazines on it coffee overload!

ourcoffeebarn

Nov 8, 2004
Wisconsin
Visit site
Here it is again. I want to sell them for around $200.00 to $300.00 (depending on the type of wood) per small table 32 inces by 18 inches and 19 inces tall. I would have to confirm the price with my Brother Inlaw so this is just an estimate and not a sales offer. Just thought I should put out an estimated price if anyone is interested.

coffee_table%20001.jpg

kluka

May 28, 2007
Visit site
If you will put roasted beans in your table, make sure there is no moist... Than you are safe at least for an decade...