Coffee Tamper Size...

Shimmy

Dec 29, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Visit site
Hi, so my new baby gaggia twin..amazing machine but comes with a horrible horrible little plasitc tamper...

First thing on my list is to get a new one....

I am thinking a heavy stainless steel with flat bottom?

Jst wondering tho, in the description for this machine, it says it has a 58mm portafilter....does this mean that I can get the 58mm tamper? I want it to be a perfect fit....so theres no loose coffee around the sides..

Thanks,
Shimmy

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Yeah I bought a one-piece stainless 58mm tamper from Vaneli's and it fits the Gaggia baskets nicely. Some people like the 2 piece designs in which you have a solid bottom and a handle made out of wood or resin, but I like the hefty feel of the one I bought. It's a full 23 oz. and will last a lifetime.

You will have a bit of clearance between the tamper rim and the basket, but that's OK. I've found that the tamping process pushes the grounds down and out nicely and seals around the edges. You won't find one that's a perfect fit unless you send the basket(s) to somebody and they can make one to fit. Later!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Hey, somebody actually noticed I was away........... Now that's funny. Actually we ran into some computer/dialup problems and had to do a total system restore. Our area doesn't support any fast form of connectivity, so we're stuck with dialup for now. But yeah, I've been going through the forums and seeing what I've missed. Later!