cold brew/toddy question

janie1963

Mar 8, 2004
Visit site
Just wondering what info anyone might have on the cold brew or toddy makers. All I've been told is that it makes a thick sludge that's used in blended or iced drinks. I've ordered one and hope that it comes with better instructions than all the other equipment I've purchase thus far. :? Thanks

janie1963

Mar 8, 2004
Visit site
I haven't used it yet-we are about 2 weeks from opening. But I did do a Google search (cold brew toddy recipes) and found a few recipes with good intructions. I'm so excited to serve toddy drinks because not one coffe shop around here does.

Good luck to you!

ralphshade

Jul 28, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
Toddy maker

I bought a Toddy Maker years ago, and rarely use it. It's a cold extraction process that creates a syrupy concentrate. The intention is that you add hot water to the concentrate for your coffee. Sort of like a liquid instant coffee. The end result is smooth, but on the bland side. It tends to remove a lot of the indidvidual character from a coffee. I don't really recommend it.

G

Toddy is the ONLY way to brew coffee

Folks, let's remember taste is subjective - some people like the harshness of a cup of Starbucks coffee. Toddy's cold brewed coffee is about as good as it gets. I started drinking it in college 20 years ago, and brew coffee no other way. Plus, it's easy - you can make it one cup at a time as strong or weak as you prefer. My dinner guests rave about it. I also use it in food recipes when coffee is an ingredient. Kate :!:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Not only am I a client I own the company! Just kidding Kate...I do not like Toddy as hot coffee but when you make iced drinks with a wee bit of syrup and milk....sells like crazzzzy. There used to be this place in Tampa that sold straight Toddy iced.....no that is crazzzy! :roll:

ralphshade

Jul 28, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
Re: Toddy is the ONLY way to brew coffee

katebackstage said:
Folks, let's remember taste is subjective - some people like the harshness of a cup of Starbucks coffee. Toddy's cold brewed coffee is about as good as it gets. I started drinking it in college 20 years ago, and brew coffee no other way. Plus, it's easy - you can make it one cup at a time as strong or weak as you prefer. My dinner guests rave about it. I also use it in food recipes when coffee is an ingredient. Kate :!:

No offense, Kate, but easy doesn't usually equate with good. If you've only been drinking Toddy coffee you're limiting yourself. Each brewing process creates a different result, just as each coffee has its own unique characteristics. I suspect that your dinner guests rave about it because they've not had properly prepared and served coffee, so they don't know any better. Toddy coffee does produce a consistent, easy to consume product. So does McDonald's, but I wouldn't serve it at my dinner parties. :wink: :!:

G

Cold Brew

I have a Filtron cold-brew system, and it is very easy to use! Once you've let your grounds steep, just pull the drain plug on the bottom and set on the carafe for a few minutes. Voila! Coffee concentrate, with no 'sludge' and you can keep it at room temperature.

I enjoy the smoother cup of coffee, with much less 'bite' and oils; I also have less of a caffeine reaction. The concentrate is great to take on my travels - all that is needed is hot water.

pablos

Oct 1, 2004
Denver CO
Visit site
tha toddy

Ah the toddy, or as we call it here, liquid crack. We only use toddy for our iced coffee here at pablo's, and everyone agrees... it makes a stronger, less bitter beverage. When you brew it hot and then put it in the fridge, it sometimes tastes way too acidic. We use 5lb of coffee at a time, ground moderately fine, and the yield is about three gallons of intese concentrate.

As far as using the liquid crack for hot coffee goes, I guess that's a matter of personal taste. I prefer the french press or a double espresso, sometimes an americano. But to each his or her own!

G

cold brew

I have used mine once....it makes a very good beverage.....very mellow.....does not have the bite that I generally like...but that stated.....its still a quality cup of coffee....I only let the mixture brew for 12 hours....I am upping to 18 to see if there is a difference in intesity.....though the mellowness is s nice change...

G

We've been using the toddy for a few weeks now...we don't use it often, though I'd like to promote it more. We have a customer who always gets an iced mocha, so we had him try the toddy iced mocha and he's hooked. When people want a blended drink with a shot of coffee, we use the toddy and they love it. I was just reading a bit about toddy and learned this year the toddy maker turns 40 and big coffee chains, such as Seattle's Best are now letting their secret for great cold coffee drinks out of the bag....they use toddy.

I buy pre-ground toddy from my roaster. Since we've been in business just a few weeks we don't use much, but I'd like to start making larger batches and promote it more. How would the quality be affected if I were to use another pre-ground coffee, rather than an espresso blend?

We keep the toddy in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks....I would not recommend keeping it at room temp.

G

questions re toddy

hey guest,

having made a few toddy coffees in my time, i'd suggest using a coarser ground than espresso grind. i've always been told the longer the brewing time, the coarser the grind. you mentioned seattle's best (now owned by starbucks...eeek)- their best-selling drink is a Naughty Toddy, Gloria Jean's is a Hotty Toddy- all use Toddy's process. i've asked managers at both places, and they use a medium roast, coarse grind- sorta like what you would use in an old fashioned percolator. hope this helps.
:wink:

janie1963

Mar 8, 2004
Visit site
yes, that does help Kate. I'm going to play around with the toddy some more...come up with a fun name for a drink to offer the customers. We do have a customer who orders a single shot of toddy over ice, no milk. We charge .50 and she tips .15 :roll: She also tries to convert my barista to her religion....maybe we should charge her more for that!

Thanks for the tips!!!

by the way, I had to post as "guest" before

G

toddy coffee

I've been making toddy coffee for several months now and LOVE it. I don't have a Toddy coffee maker system. I "brew" it in a jar in my frig for 8 to 12 hours, strain it through a coffee filter and refrigerate. I buy flavored decaf beans and course grind them. To serve, I mix 1/4 cup of coffee concentrate with water in a 12 oz. cup. I drink it iced in the summer and hot in the winter, heating the water in my hot pot. I either drink it plain or with a bit of heavy cream for a special treat. For a really special treat, I'll add a bit of Kahlua.

NancyJMcKee

Feb 22, 2005
Visit site
Cold brewed coffee

I have a homemade cold brew coffee maker, but I'm not sure how much coarse ground coffee I should use to how much water. Can anyone help me?