cold brew/toddy question

pjva04

Mar 15, 2005
Visit site
Cold-Brewed Coffee without the commitment

After reading the posts on this Toddy System I decided to research it further. I found that it is not difficult to make cold-brewed coffee sans any special "maker".

1. I poured 1/2 lb of Community Coffee Dark Roast into a water pitcher and covered it with 4 cups of water making sure the coffee was thoroughly mixed with the water.

2. I covered it with Saran Wrap and put it in the fridge for 14 hours.

3. In the morning, I ran it through a filter sandwiched between a metal strainer and filter cup, making sure to push down on the grinds with a spoon to extract as much as possible.

4. Using the standard 3:1 ratio with hot water, I enjoyed my first cup ever of Cold-Brewed Coffee...VERY GOOD!

I haven't seen this tip here, but no matter if you make it on your own or use a "maker", heating your concentrate in the microwave for 30 seconds before adding the water will let you enjoy a HOT cup of coffee instead of a warm cup. I noticed no degredation in the actual flavor.

I will still enjoy my coffee from the french press on those cold mornings when I need the bitter bite, but I think I found my preferred method with the cold brewing. :)

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
Re: Cold-Brewed Coffee without the commitment

pjva04 said:
After reading the posts on this Toddy System I decided to research it further. I found that it is not difficult to make cold-brewed coffee sans any special "maker".

1. I poured 1/2 lb of Community Coffee Dark Roast into a water pitcher and covered it with 4 cups of water making sure the coffee was thoroughly mixed with the water.

2. I covered it with Saran Wrap and put it in the fridge for 14 hours.

3. In the morning, I ran it through a filter sandwiched between a metal strainer and filter cup, making sure to push down on the grinds with a spoon to extract as much as possible.

4. Using the standard 3:1 ratio with hot water, I enjoyed my first cup ever of Cold-Brewed Coffee...VERY GOOD!

I haven't seen this tip here, but no matter if you make it on your own or use a "maker", heating your concentrate in the microwave for 30 seconds before adding the water will let you enjoy a HOT cup of coffee instead of a warm cup. I noticed no degredation in the actual flavor.

I will still enjoy my coffee from the french press on those cold mornings when I need the bitter bite, but I think I found my preferred method with the cold brewing. :)

Your process is a little more labor intensive than the Toddy, but works. I use the Toddy system to pre-mix a base for our frozen coffee menu items.

I think some coffee tastes better cold-brewed, whether served cold or hot. But as observed earlier, taste is subjective.

janie1963

Mar 8, 2004
Visit site
We're using more of the toddy lately and recently made the following:

toddy mixed with half and half and chocolate sauce...it was rich and creamy and made great iced mochas. I think it's pretty much the same as Cinnabon's Mochalatta drink. I need to find a good container that can be stored on it's side in the refrigerator without leaking....small frig.

pjva04

Mar 15, 2005
Visit site
:-D I now use a 1 gallon freezer bag and able to mix 1 lb with 8 cups of water.
1. I let it sit for 24 hours, get my gold filter out and place it over the pitcher.
2. I then poke a large hole in the bottom of the bag and set it in the filter basket.
3. After much of the dripping has ended (about 8-10 minutes), I give the bag a couple of squeezes to get the thickest concentrate out.
4. I then pour my mixture into a bottle to which I attach a speed pourer (like the ones used in bars).

A typical 6 count of the pourer gives me a 2 oz shot that in turn makes a very nice 8 oz cup of coffee when mixed with hot water. I also mix it with soy milk, a pinch of stevia, and ice in a 12 oz glass shaking it well (yummy treat).

Bruceg

May 26, 2005
Visit site
Cold brewed coffee

I've been making cold brewed coffee concentrate for several years now.
I use 2 cups coarse ground beans to 9 cups water and let it brew for 12 hours - longer if you want more bite.

You can make a cappuccino mix with the concentrate:
20 oz concentrate
5 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp of vanilla (or vanilla extract) and / or other flavoring.
(1/4 to 1/2 tsp of almomd extract is good in addition to the vanilla for a slightly different flavor)
heat the concentrate to disolve the sugar.
Keep refrigerated

Mix 1 part cappuccino mix to 2 to 3 parts milk or half and half.

for those on a low carb diet - use a sugar substitute in place of the sugar and low carb milk in place of the milk or half and half.

both the coffee concentrate and the cappucccino mix will keep in the refrigerator for a week or two without loss of flavor.

Toddy question for y'all! My favorite coffee shop in the whole wide world (Grandfields in Tacoma) uses the toddy latte system for their iced coffees. This is where I got hooked. We have a regular espresso machine for home use, though. A camping trip two weekends ago necessitated I cold brew some coffee to take with us. No espresso shops out in the woods!! Anywhoo, brewed it in the fridge (in a zip-loc bag) for about 18 hours. Strained it through a coffee filter inside a plastic strainer and off we went. The coffee was not thick at all, very liquid-y. My question is........using the ratio that's been provided in the previous posts.....would a 24 hour brewing time make the coffee more concentrate-like??? What's YOUR cold-brewed toddy concentrate look like????

It tasted great, specially in the woods....but I think I had to use more than I had prepared for. We're going camping again this weekend and I have to get some cold-brew started TONIGHT.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Lisa