Cold brew

At my daughters the other day and she mentioned that she drinks cold brew every morning. She is a fuel truck driver. I asked how she made it and she showed me and gave me a sample. It was delicious! So I ordered the gallon jug with the coffee grounds cage. When I read the directions that said to fill the cage with 14 ounces of coffee I was surprised to say the least. This seemed like a lot of coffee. Is this the amount that everyone uses? Is this normal?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I typically recommend 12oz coffee per gallon of water... keep in mind that's a bit too personal preference. Most people find 12/gallon a little strong so you may want to start a little lighter than 14 oz to start.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I pulled this off the Toddy website. They recommendn using 12 oz of coffee to 7 cups of water.
toddy.png

7over

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
The Toddy guide is for making cold brew concentrate, rather than RTD (ready to drink). Their ratio is exactly what we've been using for years to make concentrate. We then blend that with 2 to 2.5 parts water to get the strength down to something drinkable. It's delicious.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
You want to keep it as concentrate till you make the RTD. Cold brew concentrate will hold in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. If you add water it shrinks the life to 2 to 3 days.