Cold Espresso

Bean007

Feb 8, 2005
Cortland, OH
Visit site
Recently one of our baristas had the idea to make up a batch of espresso ahead of time and keep it in the refridgerator so that it will be ready for our customers who order cold espresso-based drinks. I was wondering if any of you thought this was a good idea. Also, I was wondering how long I should keep the espresso in the refridgerator.

Bean007

Feb 8, 2005
Cortland, OH
Visit site
Cold Expresso

OH Horrors! I can't believe I misspelled espresso in the subject title. Please forgive me, coffee guros out there. I usually yell (gently) at anyone on my staff who pronounces the word "expresso". It was simply a typo, really!

:oops:

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I have personally refused a drink after watching someone pull espresso out of the fridge and dump it in my drink. Espresso is only good for a few minutes after you pull it. After that it starts to loose its intensity and sweetness. It looses all the qualities that you look for in espresso. If you have patrons that understand espresso, once you add that old stuff it just doesn't taste as good.

I would never allow anybody to chill my espresso before serving it to me in a chilled drink. I understand how your employee thinks it helps save time and makes his life easier. But in the coffee world easier doesn't always mean better. I say make him do it right the first time. If your patrons truly understand coffee, they are willing to wait to have it done right!

e_institute

May 4, 2005
Visit site
i'm not sure if this applies to what you're asking, but we pull shots and freeze them in ice trays for blended drinks. it's adds a coffee bite and a bit of a kick. note, this is for blended drinks only. someone wanting an iced latte still gets hot shots.

celement

Apr 17, 2005
Modesto, CA
Visit site
Do It Right - It Works

I understand CC's concern, but I'll respectfully disagree. We chill our shots first thing in the moring. Here are some things I found;

1) The shots should be put into a sealed container and placed in a cooler within 90 seconds of shooting them.

2) They will need a few hours to cool. They won't go from their high temp to a reasonable cold temp very fast.

The alternative we do for decaf which is to chill the shot on ice fast. Sorry but too much water gets mixed with the espresso in this case and I lose the espresso taste on some of the drinks.

I've tasted both of these options numerous times. There is little difference and the time savings for making an on the rocks drink is significant. My place is a drive through espresso so speed is important - not as important as taste mind you - but important.