Consulting

BaristaTrainer

Oct 18, 2004
Portland, OR
Visit site
Cre8tive_being

I appreciate your input, no offense taken. I enjoy posting on this forum and sharing my experiences and knowledge just as much the next guy/girl. I work for Bellissimo and take pride in what they offer, and I do recommend their products along with other resources out there for anyone new to the business. I would have made the same post years ago before I worked for them, when I was managing my 3rd coffee shop.

There are many users on here working for companies in this industry and I think it is great that so many people are eager to share their knowledge.

If you are in the conceptual stages of opening and still researching I would look into joining the SCAA http://www.scaa.org as well as subscribing to Fresh Cup magazine http://www.freshcup.com

Do as much research and ask as many questions as you can.

Good Luck!

BT

Cre8ive_being

Dec 4, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for your response. Yes, I have noticed that quite a few people here work for companies in the industry. I don't think that's a bad thing at all, but it's still a good thing to know. I appreciate your response and thanks for the links. I will definitely check them out. I will check out Bellissimo as well.

Rockcreekcoffee

Dec 8, 2004
Billings, MT
Visit site
Advice

I am posting this message because I have worked with both the Barista Trainer (Bellissimo) and Cafemakers (Andrew Hetzel).

My dealings with both companies has always been in a professional manner. :)

Unfortunately, I am disappointed at the nature of the way the forum "chat" turned. It became very apparent that the "chat" became malicous and personal when the forum is not designed to air your "dirty laundry".

There are many people who read and give advice/info on these forums, but in no way is it a place to "go after" another company or individual no matter how YOU feel they represent themselves on the chat boards.

We are all professional people and need to act as such.

Thank you,

Rockcreekcoffee

Rockcreekcoffee

Dec 8, 2004
Billings, MT
Visit site
Advice

Follow up to the previous post....

I am not at all unhappy with Bellissimo or Cafemakers. I still work with both companies and seek advice (when necessary from each).

All I want to say is - please don't discredit Bellissimo (the industry leader) in the Specialty Coffee Industry on a public forum. I don't think it is necessary or professional. I would say the same exact thing to anyone discrediting any company/person in a public forum.

Rock Creek Coffee

FreeHelp

Mar 2, 2005
Visit site
Rest in Peace!

Like Cre8ive_being, I appreciate the fact BaristaTrainer's opinions may not be completely un-biased regardless of how good intentioned they may be & this was pointed out by CafeMakers. (no offense to BaristaTrainer)

I feel that I would have held you with greater respect if your 7th posting here was the 1st to reply CafeMakers cos it appears to me that you would not even come straight out to admit that you are from Bellissimo (like not proud of it or something, perhaps shocked at being caught red handed maybe?) Up to that post on page two, I still didn't know that you were INDEED from Bellissimo. (I'm not siding with him though)

My 2 cents worth is that you should prefix "We at" Bellissimo... blah, blah

Or perhaps: "Despite this being a biased opinion, and me being associated with Bellissimo, " Espresso 101 is great!

Indeed if you signed of as a contact resource for Bellissimo, it would not have prevented me from (all your softsell but to some it's HARDSELL) visiting your web to look at your products.

However, I wonder why you are still here when the email about ordering your books/tapes I sent to [email protected] went unanswered.

Aa a parting shot, I do like the icon/pic below your BaristaTrainer nick and that's the only thing that made me suspect that you were from Bellissimo cos it looked like the cover of 1 of the books/tapes you are selling.

Anyway I do respect CafeMakers for all his input, though bias, & he did shut up when he said he will. (I liked your icon too)

By the way, Aliya, I pm-ed you to ask how you were doing but I guess you are too busy with you new cafe. All the Best to 1 & all here! :)

FreeHelp

Mar 2, 2005
Visit site
More updates!

Barista Trainer nearly bit my head off when he finally responded and took my order!

No worries... he fulfilled he end of the bargain although the order took about a month to arrive... I'm sure I got a REAL bargain!

Cafemakers on the other hand pm-ed me to say he had contacts in SG that he could drop me a phno. However, when I responded with an email for him to do so he said something to the effect: "his friend charged a fee if I wanted to get in touch...."

Oh well! Just for everything here to know... there is no free lunch!

BaristaTrainer

Oct 18, 2004
Portland, OR
Visit site
Freehelp,

I am sorry you feel this way and that your order took a while to get to SIngapore, not really in my control. In fact we sent the order twice ... I also gave you a considerable (about 50%) discount on your products since you told me you were a non-profit organization, I was trying to be helpful.

I really don't think it is fair to say I bit your head off is it, when I was QUITE the opposite? You are welcome to your opinion but in all fairness, I had to give my side of the story. Glad you finally got your package.

- bt

javayankee

Crimson Cup

Like so many it seems, I am awash in research for a potential shop. These are great forums and I'm learning a great deal!

That being said...how important is using a consultant in a start-up? I am new to the business owning world, so I'm inclined to use one. Does anyone have any experience with Crimson Cup?

GeorgeW

Jul 22, 2005
Charleston, SC
Visit site
Espresso 101 book

I'd like to offer an unbiased opinion about Espresso 101 - it contains a great deal of very useful information, especially for someone new to the industry or small business. I agree that $200 is a steep price and I was prety reluctant to shell out that amount myself. However, it is a niche market and you have to pay a premium for the information since its unlikely the writers are going to make the New York Times Best Seller list.

Overall I found the book very helpful and a few of their suggetions about lease negotiation doubltess saved me a lot more $ than the price of the book. Now if they only included a warning in 40 font at the beginning of the book that said, "NO RESTAURANT OPENS ON TIME OR WITHIN BUDGET!" Lol! We're two months late and 25k over budget despite making very realistic plans and buget assessments.

Regards,

George Worthington
Muddy Waters Coffeebar
1739 Maybank Hwy
Charleston, SC 29412

GeorgeW

Jul 22, 2005
Charleston, SC
Visit site
Hey guys, I wasn't referring to Espresso 101 - I meant to refer to the book - "Bean Business Basics" by Bruce Milletto. Sorry for the confusion, I hadn't looked at the book title in awhile.

Muddycup

Dec 4, 2005
New York
Visit site
sorry

I am only willing to help out people who are thinking about opening there first coffee house, thats about it and all the time I have to offer. Most of the first timers spend way more money than they have to, I opened my first one with $15,000.