convection ovens & cookies

dutchilicious

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
I''m looking into using one of those giant Subway convection ovens to bake cookies. They don''t look as sturdy(?) as other commercial ovens I''ve seen, but don''t want to judge an oven by its.....

Has anyone had really good results baking cookies (from scratch - not frozen) using this type of oven?

Thanks!!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello,

You can bake a traditional cookie (from scratch) using a convection oven. You'll need to adjust the time and temperature that the recipe calls for.(usually 25-50 degrees lower than a regular oven, and 25% less time based on the type of convection oven that you have.)

The culinary school that I attended several years ago switched to all convection ovens right in the middle of the semester. It was a challenge to learn how to adjust the recipes to use the new ovens, but it all worked out in the end. Although convection is quicker and it supposedly uses less energy, I still prefer the old fashioned ovens.

Rose

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
The problem is though that the oven she is looking at is not a traditional convection oven.

The Turbochef forces heated air over the baking surface around 60mph uses infrared to cook the from the bottom and then also cooks it with a dual microwave emitters. So instead of cooking cookies 15 minutes with a standard oven or 11 minutes in a convection oven. This thing will pop your cookies out in a minute or 2 tops!

It can cook a 4 hour 12lb turkey in 42 minutes. These things were built for speed cooking.

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
I'm not sure what they're using nowadays, but I used a similar oven many years ago....

We just got in cases of frozen preshaped yeasted doughs and put them right into the proofer below, set the timer then transferred the doughs to the oven above. We also used it for cakes & pies, muffins, cookies & scones, etc. Whether baked from scratch or frozen, final results may vary slightly, but cookie dough is cookie dough... Doh! Though I absolutely agree fresher is better!!!

Almost no knowledge of baking was needed to run this thing.

They're built for commercial use and ours was in use morning, day & night. Never had any trouble with it.

Image swiped from ebay:
1172_2.JPG

This one is currently available, for a "buy now" price of $1,450.