Corazon Coffee Roasters

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Greetings, kids.

I picked up our new 12 kg roaster late last week and am now working on the gas line and exhaust venting. We finished up work on the lighting, counter and retail shelves last week, too. Beans, grinder, scales, containers, bags, organic tea and supplies have been steadily arriving for the last couple of weeks. Our logo was applied to the shop window last week. Now all we need is the final inspection by the usda rep to get our organic certification. After that, we can open bags of beans and start cupping and developing blends.

Last but not least..... The fire marshall just gave the OK for us to sell coffee and tea by the cup to go. Still won't let us have a coffee shop in this location, but this is a step in the right direction, imo.

scott

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey, Rose.

I bet I'll be able to do that.

The new roaster is black and stainless steel. You wouldn't believe the number of cars that passed me on the way back from OK City with folks gawking at that roaster in the back of my pick-up truck, scratching their heads and wondering what that contraption was.

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello Scott;
What make of roaster did you go with and why? Which city are you located in? Looking forward to pictures. Great luck on your adventure.
Brian

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
We went with a new 12 kg from US Roaster Corp out of OK City. I researched the various makes for a few months before deciding to do business with Dan. We wanted something dependable and decided new would probably fit that bill rather than refurbished. The price of his new roaster was not much more than a used Probat.

I like that its made in the USA. Dan's machine has also won the blind taste test at the Roaster's Guild retreat the last four years in a row. The folks in OK City attribute that honor partially to their use of a stainless steel roasting drum, believing that beans don't add flavor to the stainless over time.

We started out by placing an order for a 5kg unit but after doing some projections, changed it to the 12 kg model. In the end, we wanted something we could grow into rather than grow out of.

scott

Last edited:

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Btw, the Ia Dpt. of Agriculture and Land Management called and set up our initial organic inspection for tomorrow afternoon. I'm excited and a bit nervous.

lw

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
The inspection was conducted this afternoon and we are now certified organic by the Iowa Dpt. of Agriculture and Land Stewardship. Nice folks. Big load off of our minds.

Tonight we celebrate. (After getting a credit card system in place and finishing up the gas connection to the roaster.)

scott

hi i am new to the forum but not as new to coffee.

i am a coffee exporter in costa rica but an american. can you give me an idea of what a good 12kg roaster costs in the usa.

am considering doing some of my roasting here and would appreciate any advice. i intend to keep the bulk of the roasting in costa rica as i believe in giving the jobs to the people in the area i buy coffee...i do not want to take this treasure and not return anything.

thanks in advance for any suggestions anyone might have

congratulation's on being close to realizing your vision/dream...i wish you success once your operations begin.

Last edited:

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Our 12 kg roaster from US Roaster Corps currently sells for $23,500. The 5 kg unit sells for $14,500.

If all goes right, the spec sheet should be included with this post.

• Auto-CAD designed quality steel body
• Stainless steel drum
• Separate chaff collector• All precision

machined parts
• Delivered ready to run• Produces four full

roasts per hour
• Heavy duty motor

control center includes industrial dutycomponents
• UL listed industrialduty electrical system • Approved gas control
• Swing arm controlpanel or optionalconsole
Specifications

• Four separate US mademotors for long lastingdurability
• Complete with two fansto allow the professionaltotal control over airflow and fast coolingtimes
• Optional standard orcustom control
• Different heating meth-ods are available
• 100% made in the USA

Speed controlled exhaust fan andoptional drum speed control

Roasts from 4 ouncesto a full load

Specs
WeightHeight to top

of load hopperWidth
Depth
BTU’s

12 Kilo1000 lbs5’10”
32”
5’8”
approx. 30-100,000 adjustable or22,000-150,000 w/power burner

Cyclone is for 6” pipe for venting

Fireplace type from first perforation of ceiling to 3 foot above Roofline.Voltages, 10 amps 208-230 or 18 amps 110-120 60 cycle. Others on request.

Last edited:

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Roaster is up and running. Class A venting has been installed. Still need to install the bean cooling venting, but I'll prolly start roasting beans tomorrow w/o permanent stove pipe in place.

Items for bean storage retail sale have been arriving daily. Ordered a few new coffee books today. Found a couple of sources for double walled, compostable cups, lids and straws. Labels will be printed. Finishing touches on the fixtures, flooring in the bathroom, etc. need to be taken care of. Credit card processing gets installed next week. Still need a cash register. Wife is making business cards and taking care of awning replacement.

First cupping should take place this weekend.

Things are moving along quickly now.

scott

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the update. It's always nice to see how things are progressing.

The first cupping is always an event to look forward to. It sounds like you'll have another reason to celebrate soon!

Best wishes,

Rose