Cost/Source for quality disposable cups

susansaddiction

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Hi all - hoping you can help. I've been in business for just over 5 months now with a kiosk - though it's a permanent bldg with water/sewer etc. Anyway, I really cringe everytime I need to order my cups. I'm currently using a nice Dixie "foam" insulated cup from FSA, but at 10-16 cents per cup depending on the size, plus the lid cost, I'm really interested if anyone has another source? I want to stick with a "nicer" cup - not a plain paper one that needs a java jacket, but would love to find a quality cup at a cheaper price.
Thanks in advance.
Susan in South Dakota

upnorthcoffee

Mar 30, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
I am of the opinion our customers don't care. They paid for what's inside. You can go with a plain white paper cup and get cheaper java jackets with advertising on them. Money is better spent on reinvesting in your cart business than to be thrown away!

drrule

Aug 13, 2004
Visit site
jackets

We went a step beyond. I had custom sleeves made 50k, put our logo on them, and sold 2 ads on the sleeves to two other local businesses.

So we use plain white cups and have our logo on every sleve that leaves. Like little bunnies out there just multiplying. :D

yumsetti

Apr 11, 2005
Spartansburg, PA
Visit site
To whomever wrote that customers don't care what cup it is in, I beg to differ purely on my own feelings. I really hate styrofoam because it is archaeic and wasteful, but I do understand that it is cheap. When I buy a cup of coffee and it is in a styrofoam cup, I drink the coffee, but my overall experience leaves me feeling bad and I take steps to not have to buy coffee from that place again. Call me neurotic, but the psychology of the experience is what people will come back to day after day instead of just when they absolutely need coffee. Personally, my favorite disposable coffee cup is made out of paper with a coating that is bio-degradable and feels like styrofoam, so you don't get burned. I don't know how much it costs, sorry. Also, I always return to places that will fill up my travel mug, i.e. you could save money by using less cups.
Hope that helps.

upnorthcoffee

Mar 30, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
yumsetti said:
To whomever wrote that customers don't care what cup it is in, I beg to differ purely on my own feelings.

That was me. I was telling Susan in SD that plain white paper cups are fine. I too would cringe at places using styrofoam. For plain white paper here's what it costs for 1000 count cases.
12 oz. = $53
16 oz. = $70
20 oz. = $85
These plain white cups do need a java jacket, but at least the same lid works for all three sizes.

The soft touch dixie cup is what I think Susan is using. Its nice, no java jacket needed but customers don't know that and sometimes want a second cup. That hurts the bottom line when the staff is all too willing to oblige. Plus they need different lids for the various sizes.

celement

Apr 17, 2005
Modesto, CA
Visit site
Try DART

They come with an attractive coffee house design at no extra cost, my costs are about 8.5 on a 24 ounce cup and they go down from there to 12 ounces which cost about 5.5 cents a cup. One lid fits all, and they offer a nifty resealable lid people on the move like - I've never had a complaint.

Oh...and they work for cold too so I only have 1 set of cups which is nice when trying to (needing to) save space.

susansaddiction

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
thnx for the input all

Thanks to you all for your input about cups. I've gone to a less expensive albeit foam cup for now but will continue to look- can save about $150 per month with this cup.....will check out the Dart cup though.
Thanks
Susan

ps - it seems that South Dakotans really dislike the java jacket thing...but then I don't really care for them myself either....

edtrbob

May 12, 2005
Visit site
We use the plain white cup from IP via Javastock.com, and the white plain sleeve. We have a stamp with our logo and a stamp with our "enjoy nine & the 10th is free" offer, and stamp the sleeves. Some folks have us punch the card, most just save the sleeves until they have ten and bring them back in. The stamps cost us about $30 each - saves on the custom printing.

Javastock ships right away, we get the order in 2-3 days, so I can keep supplies fairly lean.

Bob