Could use some input... franchise opening across from me

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
I just got word from my architect who says there is a Bad Ass Coffee Company moving to basically, caddy corner to where my store will be. He said not to worry too much because they are at least 2 years out from opening with all the township rigamarole they have to go through building a new location. Hopefully, I will be open in the next couple of months, provided my build out goes smoothly (fingers crossed). I knew at some point there would be a franchise coming to the area. So, I guess I am looking for some input from some others who have been in the same situation.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
First... I have not been in this situation, but I know a couple of indies who have, and on a side note, I also know the owner of Bad Ass (holds all franchise rights).Bad Ass isn't that great. Their whole thing is on Kona coffee, and I can safely say it's not like any Kona I've had, and not in a good way.

Store X was in it's spot for ~9 years. Starbucks went in across the street. Store X had good following, but this was the first Starbucks in the area. Store X's volume doubled in the next four to six months.

The Starbucks had plenty of customers, still does, but the locals came originally as a show of support, and found between the two, that they preferred Store X over Starbucks.

Just be better than the chain and you'll have no problem. If you aren't better than the chain.... that's a different, and very sad, story.

[edit] I personally don't go for the "I'm independent... support local" JUST because you are local. You must be better. [/end edit]

Now go kick some a$$.

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Thanks, John... I kinda needed that pep talk! I also agree with you that supporting someone just because they are local; that they need to be better. We'll just see what happens.

muddycup2

Aug 25, 2007
New York
Visit site
don't worry

I to have been to a bad ass in maui, they are all about merchandise, and not coffee or atmosphere, advice: have great coffee, lost of comfortable seating and be all about the community and you will have no problems. Also as a marketing person even though their name gets them some attention it does hurt them in the longrun I.e. being a "bad ass" in a kids mind is not cool and your grand parents don't want to get coffee their either. don't worry - ofcourse if I opened there then I would worry :grin:

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Yes, MuddyCup, if you opened there I would worry! So, don't even think of it! I'm surprised they can put up signs with the word "ass" in it and its ok. I'm no prude but most in the area are. Hopefully, I will have a loyal following before they open. :D

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
AJPRATT said:
I'm surprised they can put up signs with the word "ass" in it and its ok. I'm no prude but most in the area are. Hopefully, I will have a loyal following before they open. :D

I may be wrong, but isn't the word Ass found in the bible and also

Wild ass may mean the wild donkey, or it may mean its wild relative the onager, also known as a "half ass" -another animal of the horse genus.

Figuratively, a buffoon (fool, idiot, clown). The ass (donkey) typified clumsiness and stupidity since ancient times; asshead dates to 1550, to make an ass of oneself to 1590.

Presumably they claim to be a Bad Ass as in "Bad Donkey" and hence overcome the rules that cover decency in the US. In the UK an ass has to have an r otherwise it's just a bit stupid. :wink:

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Dave... Hey, there are lots of things in the Bible, but it doesn't make it right (ducking as things are thrown at me). Sorry, being a smart arse. My Nana was from Liverpool, so I caught that "r" thing.

You're right about the donkey reference getting around the whole decency issue. I would just love to hear what parents say when their kids ask "What does Bad Ass mean?" LOL

And, we should use the word "asshead" as much as possible in our posts--you can never get enough asshead. LOL

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
BAD ARSE UPDATE

Just wanted to share with my "coffee friends" (that's what I call you!)... You all offered so much support, via the board and PM that I had to pass this on:

I saw the landlord today at the store while we were hanging our "coming soon" signs. He told me that the plans for Bad Ass Coffee for across the street must have fallen through because they keep calling my landlord and called yet again today, looking to rent space in the same shopping center as me, claiming that *I* wouldn't care because it wouldn't be a conflict since they aren't a coffee place like me, that they serve breakfast. But they are called "Bad Ass Coffee".

The good news is that I have an exclusivity clause in my lease, so after a little research my landlord quickly realized that they would be in conflict with us and probably realized I would sue his arse (no pun, really).

So, on a personal note, the ever-underestimated, not-so-dumb-blonde Anne, scores a point tonight with the husband. After much research, I requested my landlord include that clause in the lease. And THAT is why you have to soak up all you can from those around you--thank you! It could have been devastating to us.

ETA: My husband said of you take away the "a$$" all you have is Bad Coffee. Teeheehee. Normally, I don't have a problem with a franchise, just thought that was witty for him!