Creating the Starbucks taste at home

Beany

May 21, 2005
Surrey, England
Visit site
Mainly out of interest, rather than a true desire to drink Starbucks at home, I have been experimenting with creating the exact same taste. One aspect is that shop Starbucks cappuchino tastes slightly 'Sweet'. They might be using homogenized milk which is not readily available in the supermarket?? So far, using a Dualit Expresso Machine and Burr Grinder and filtered water I have come quite close. I have noticed that the house blend beans are great when first opened, but quickly lose the freshness. Any one else managed the perfect SB taste at home?

jeff808

May 25, 2005
Oahu, Hawaii
Visit site
Good water and fresh beans... I promise you - you will eventually make coffee much BETTER than Starbucks. And compared to the prices at SB, you can buy top-shelf coffee and still save money if you make it at home.

nzroaster

Jul 28, 2004
Qld, Australia
Visit site
I roasted some beans well into 2nd crack once, truth be told i forgot about the roast overnight. Then took the beans home and got my 10 year old kid brother to make up a brew....that tasted pretty close to sb's

scayf

Jun 4, 2005
Visit site
nzroaster said:
I roasted some beans well into 2nd crack once, truth be told i forgot about the roast overnight. Then took the beans home and got my 10 year old kid brother to make up a brew....that tasted pretty close to sb's

*lol* That's the Starbucks taste alright!

I, too, roast my own, then hand-grind right before I brew. Fresher and better than anything Starbucks can make.