CREMA? WHERE'S THE CREMA???

LUCMAT

Mar 24, 2004
MELBOURNE,FL
Visit site
I'm using a very good Guatemalan Antigua espresso coffee on my Gaggia Carezza. The grinding is perfect as well as the tamping and after I follow all the instructions, still can't obtain the CREMA that I'm supposed to. This is more evident after my first shot. I do the priming, wait for the correct temperature and my CREMA is far from present. Not only that but my second shot comes very weak and the portafilter is full of waterly coffee when extracted. This happens even when I use the same amount of coffe of my first shot. What am I doing wrong?. I'm afraid I need more practice with the machine controls, althought I must say the milk for my cappuccinos is near perfect in body and consistency. Please help with some step by step directions to obtain the espresso I'm dreaming with, specially with my second shots. Thank you to anyone out there!!! :oops: [/b]

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
How fresh is your coffee...how do you know your tamp and grind are perfect...humidity can affect the grind so it is a constent changing process...I used to go round and round with an assistant manager of mine..I would tell him that the grind was off...he would say no it is on setting number 6. I would then try to tell him that 6 might not be six all the time(did that make sense?) I use the numbers as refernce not as word. If your coffee isn't coming out at the proper extraction time your grind is off..or you are not tamping properly...learn to tamp and once you have that consistant never change your tamp and just adjust your grind. Your "puck" sounds more like "muck" meaning you might not have the proper amount of coffee in your port-a-filter...hope this helps and doesn't add to your confussion.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Yes I agree with topher. Also the type of roast would make a difference as well. If you have a lighter roast, you may not be able to pull consistent shots, additionally single origin coffees usually aren't the best for making espresso shots. Just my brief thoughts. :-D

LUCMAT

Mar 24, 2004
MELBOURNE,FL
Visit site
CREMA, WHERE'S THE CREMA?

Thank you to both of you topher and coffee guy. Your comments are REALLY helpful!!. I will definitely check the grinding and the tamping. I think my problems with the crema are due to these factors. I noticed that my espresso coffee looks a lot thicker when compared to the recommended sugar grains. I tried the 30 lbs pressure on the tamper, but
that also may change. Probably with repetitive practice I’ll obtain eventually that dreamed crema. Guys, your advice it is sincerely appreciated…. :)