Cuisinart Brew Central DCC-1200

DylanAsdale

May 16, 2009
Visit site
I have a question about this coffee maker. I know it's a very popular one so I hope someone can help me out.

Is there any way at all to turn the automatic shutoff OFF? I absolutely despise this feature. I just recently found out you can set it to 1-4 hours, and found out that it was on 2 hours. I increased it to 4 hours, which I'm sure will help, but I don't like it shutting off automatically. I like to be in control of it.

So is there any way to turn it off?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello.

Here is a link to the users manual for your machine:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i3d/ ... 000909.pdf

On page 6 it says:

4. To program the Variable Auto Off:
Turn the function knob to the “Auto Off”
position. Press and hold the “Hour” button
for two seconds, until the clock display starts
blinking. To change the hour and minutes, use
the pushbuttons as you would to set the time
of day. The Auto Off time can be set from
zero to four hours.

Try setting the auto off time to zero and see what happens.

Why would you want to keep the coffee on a warmer for 4 hours????

You'd be better off buying a thermal carafe or a pump pot and pouring the coffee into it right after it's made. That way it will stay warm for a long time and you won't be 'cooking" for 4 hours.

Rose

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Coffee is cooked to death after 30 minutes in a glass decanter sitting on a burner. After 2 to 3 hours I guarantee it won't taste the same as if it were only 5 to 10 minutes old. This is one of the two major reasons why coffee machine manufactures started adding timers to the machines. The other more dangerous reason is that when the unit boils itself dry it can become a fire hazard.

PinkRose offered a great idea but with only one major drawback. Anytime you use a thermal pot your going to have to preheat the container if you wish to store coffee for long periods of time. Otherwise just pouring a fresh batch of coffee in the container it will loose a lot of it's heat bringing the thermal container up to temperature.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Oops....CCafe mention something that I've started to take for granted. When I use a thermal carafe or a pump pot, I always warm it up by filling it with hot water and letting it sit for a few minutes first. Then I dump out the hot water and fill it right away with the freshly brewed coffee.

Actually, one of the coffee makers that I use at home is a Cuisinart Grind and Brew with the thermal carafe. I save time in the morning by filling the carafe with hot water the night before, and then I just dump it out in the morning before I make the coffee. The hot water in the carafe stays hot all night long, and it keeps the carafe preheated. Then the coffee stays hot for a few hours....or until I finish drinking it!

So....if you plan to use a thermal carafe, be sure to warm it up before putting the coffee into it.

Rose