Curdling Syrups?

dorque

Apr 17, 2008
Central Kansas
Visit site
I made a strawberry steamer for my daughter and when I sipped it, it was curdled. I believe this was due to the syrup but can I be mistaken? It was DeVinnci brand, and they say they are formulated to not curd. I have a bunch of syrups that I am planning on using in the new coffee shop and am now worried that I won''t be able to. Any suggestions? We had the same thing happen with a few other fruit flavored syrups but not the hazelnut and mint ones.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Some fruit syrups have a higher acidic content then others and will cause your milk to curdle. There are different ways of making sure this doesn't happen and I will let someone else in the forum explain it for I'm not 100% sure I would do it justice.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Citric acid makes milk curdle..Monins Irish cream syrup used to have it in it(not sure if it still does) and it would make milk curdle. Some say to steam the milk with the syrup in it and it supposedly stops the curdling..but I think all it does is froths it up and masks the look of curdling...correct me if I am wrong..I usually am :oops: just ask the ex wife :wink:

CarlaLeon

May 3, 2008
Riverside, CA
Visit site
At our shop we use DaVinci syrups and once in a while we have that problem. It only happens with the fruit flavors . . . It happens quite randomly it seems. We usually steam it with the milk. I really don''t know why it only curdles sometimes! It usually does fine. My advice would be to try it again.