Date question

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I just recieved some coffee in the mail and noticed there wasn't any roast on date or freshness date on the bag. Isn't it maditory to date food?

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
FDA requires contents, weight, and where item was made/processed if shipped across state lines.
I wouldn't buy nor sell coffee without indicating a roast date, but I don't believe it is required. Old coffee doesn't become rancid... it just becomes Starbucks. :D

Don't know if its mandatory for product roasted in the USA, but we need to provide date of roast/expiry, ingredients (ie: roasted coffee ONLY, no preservtives added) as well as weight (absolutley mandatory) and packaging type every time we send coffee over your way. Apart from reglatory requirements and practical sense, would make good business sense for the roaster to be able to id his own coffee...

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
but we need to provide date of roast/expiry
True...perfect example...the coffee I am speaking of was completely flat...sigh..score a high rating but by the time I recieved it...it was shot :cry:

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
Hmm.....

I always loved this one

"N73.
Question: Can I use "average" values derived from data bases to determine the nutrient content of my product?

Answer: FDA has not stated how a company should determine the nutrient content of their product for labeling purposes. Therefore, there is no prohibition from using "average" values for its product derived from data bases if a manufacturer is confident that the values obtained meet FDA's compliance criteria. Regardless of its source, a company is responsible for the accuracy and the compliance of the information presented on the label. Use of a data base that has been accepted by FDA affords a firm some measure of security in that the agency has stated that it will work with industry to resolve any compliance problems that might arise for food labeled on the basis of a data base that the agency has accepted. A manual entitled "FDA Nutrition Labeling Manual: A Guide for Developing and Using Databases" is available from Office of Food Labeling (HFS-150), Food and Drug Administration, 200 C St. SW., Washington, DC 20204."