Decent grinder

MeNeedCoffee

Dec 29, 2007
Visit site
Any advice on a decent coffee grinder? I''m really fed up with the junk they sell at department stores.

I am looking for the following points:

1. Grind directly into the filter basket.
2. Don''t care about espresso.
3. Fairly large capacity. At least 2 pounds.
4. Doesn''t make a mess everywhere.
5. Under $200 (I hope).

What about a used Grindmaster commercial grinder? I see those on Ebay a lot for fairly reasonable price. But one problem I see is they are too tall to fit under a standard counter cabinet.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Commercial grinders weigh quite a bit and can range anywhere from 30 - 120 pounds. Thats one point you will want to look at and you already pointed out the size issue.

Even though the bulk grinders you may be looking at have a 2lb hopper you should always grind until the hopper is empty. These types of grinders weren't designed to hold coffee until the next grind and could possibly jam on a restart. If you are looking to store coffee in the grinder then you need to look at a portion control unit.

Lastly the cost of maintenance. New burrs for a Bunn G2 run around $150+, would be about the same for a Grindmaster. There are a lot of other things that can also be bad on a machine purchased from ebay. You could spend a small fortune repairing a used machine.