Decorate economically the coofeeshop?

Anajoeri

Sep 2, 2005
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Visit site
Sorry for bothering all of you so often lately but I would really use your advices! This is a place when I feel at home. We do not have much funds left for decoration. How would you decorate your coffeeshop in the most economical way? I tried already motivating art students to come but it seams that they need more courage for it.

Thank you so much!

Anajoeri

Sep 2, 2005
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Visit site
tomorrow

Tomorrow I will take some inside pictures with the upper level. I only have for now pictures with the outside and the first level, which are quite all right. The upper level worries me because I think it looks simple... How can I upload them here?

anajoeri

fatboyflyer

Feb 7, 2006
Somewhere in SoCal
Visit site
Hello Anajoeri-

Let me introduce myself. I am a coffee shop manager in California. I’ve been doing this for about two years. Before that, I was a barista at a drive thru. I’ve been in retail of some sort for most of my life. The shop that I manage is small; about 420 square feet. When I started working here the décor was mostly a mismatched hodgepodge of knickknacks that the owner had cleared out of his wife’s curio cabinet. Since then I have convinced him that we needed to create a familiar space that first time patrons will find comfortable. And while his décor was vaguely familiar to our customers, it was more reminiscent of grandma’s house than anything else.

What we’ve done over the past two years is to replace the knickknacks with antique and vintage coffee equipment. On a couple of items, such as a large urn, I have put our coffee shop logos that have been distressed to look as old as the item itself. Also, I have created a series of posters that look like old advertisements. To create them I found old artwork that was public domain and, utilizing a graphics program, I added our logo. After I had the poster printed I distressed them and mounted them. I grouped them together on the wall and put up a sign that said XYZ Coffee Through the Years (“XYZâ€

Anajoeri

Sep 2, 2005
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Visit site
thank you

Hello fatboyflyer,

Thank you so much for your advice...You had a very creative idea. I am sure you have a great coffe shop! From your idea I got another one: what if I find old pictures of the building we are in (it is belonging to a very old protestant church) and build in those ones our logo? :)

Muddycup

Dec 4, 2005
New York
Visit site
anther idea is to add drapes/material that is hung from the ceiling in the corners to "soften the space" as well as getting some canvass and creating some of your own abstract art work.

Coffee comes in these wonderful burlap sacks, some of which are ugly as sin, but some of them look excellant, Costa Rica tres Volcanoes, Sumatra Mandaley, Papau New Guinie bags are colorful and often make excellant decorations. That and they are coffee themed and I know the roasterie I work for gives the bags away for free (great for landscaping stuff too). But maybe for the cost of asking a local rosterie and a car trip you may be able to get some nice burlap sack decorations for free!

javaluva

May 15, 2005
USA
Visit site
What we have done to add to our shop is, I drew enourmous coffee cups on wood, and my husband cut them out. I then painted them really funky. You could put your name on them, add paint textures, anything.
We also took a blank wall and made it look like an outside cafe. It turned out really cool, and I used old windows, and a very old door, added a stoop, and put flowers in pots in front of it, and brought the outside in. You could also make your coffee cups out of wood, and use chalk paint, and then put all kinds of stuff on it.