Deidrich design fault on Ir24 LPG Automated models

Ausroast

Jul 13, 2005
Australia
Visit site
I Purchased a new deidrich Ir24 LPG Automated roaster in December 2005, the gas valve can not handle the amount gas needed to roast a full batch in less than 18mins with a start temp of 425F, gas guage setting at 12 end roast temp of 440f. takes between 19-20mins

The gas pressure guage drops from 12 down to 10 while running at 100% gas (which is a fault).

This problem only happens as far as I know on automatied models of this size with LPG.

Deidrich is trying to get made a new valve and processor that tells the valve to open (not sure on the technical jargon).

The reason I am posting this message is, i can not believe my roaster is the only one out there doing this, that other people that have this machine may take it for granted that these machine are working to specification when they are not, ring up Deidrich and ask them.

Maybe some bad publicity for deidrich may hurry them up with fixing this problem, this problem is ontop of 2 DOA motors, and back flashing in the burners and the gas failing due to a screw not being tightened, which just poor quality control.

A very irratated customer.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey Ausroast:

Sorry to hear about your problem with the IR24. I have one as well, but not with the automated computer hook up. When we first purchased ours a few years ago, we did not feel the need to have that attachment. We felt that it would just be another thing to go wrong in case something were to happen.

Regarding temps...On the opening couple of batches, we normally drop the greens around 450 degrees with the fuel wide open and the air flow totally open. Also you might want to inspect the tiles on your burners as well as any build up that may have occurred under the drum. And if you are having problems with adjusting the gas for flame, you might also want to check that the valves are tightened properly. Also test your gas lines to make sure you have no leaks or purge them to make sure there is no air in the lines. Well that's about all I can think of at this time. I hope this helps some :wink:

Ausroast

Jul 13, 2005
Australia
Visit site
Hi Coffee Guy,

Thankyou for that information, I have increased the start temp to compersate for the valve problems, had a gas person check the gas lines and pressure.

I am wondering are you running your machine on LPG and does it have a gas guage on the outside of the machine (older models do not have this), which will show if you have a constant gas pressure or pressure drops as is my problem, I am wondering if this problem is only on the automated models or all LPG models this size?

Regards
Ausroast.

P.S if the people from Deidrich read this my website is www.sopranocoffee.com.au

johng99

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
I am no expert, just an aging ex-plant engineer with some working knowledge of combustion systems. I am not familiar with your roaster. Is the gas pressure gauge upstream or downstream side of the control valve? Are you sure that you have adequate pressure and gas flow coming in? I have worked on systems in the past that were restricted in flow and the issue was the gas delivery system. A small incoming line will have adequate pressure but cannot deliver the flow requirements, hence the pressure will drop when the control valves fully open. Can you give a bit more description of the gas setup?
Thanks
John

Defence; is the best offence

well, hmmm, at least in all my d lit, and right on the front pannel of the roaster it say's " warm roater to 450 before dropping beans" and cool to 250 before turning off blower. Before casting stones, maybe read first. Who said it a design flaw? Aslo batch size can affect the roast and time taken to roast. You never mentioned batch size, regulator effeciency, cleanliness of ducting, or the machine, or even if you properly warmed the roaster before dropping the first batch.

My .02

Ausroast

Jul 13, 2005
Australia
Visit site
LPG is the big gas bottles, compared to town or Natural gas.
This only happens on bottle gas due to more pressure being needed.

John, We put a tester in the gas line just before, the machine pressure is constant and at the higher level, no problems, the guage on the machine after the valve is dropping as the computer side can not keep the valve open, I am not technical enough to explain that part.
have had someone hooked up a temperary solution to keep the valve fully open, this does not allow the full range of gas from 1 to 12, it is a temporary solution.

Regulator has been checked, ducting all ok.

This problems and others have been going on since january, alot of time spent by the importer and gas people to try sort the problems, it is the machine, as mentioned deidrich is trying to fix the problem.

I am intersted if anyone has a deidrich IR24 roaster running on bottle gas with electronics, to compare running performance.

Thanks.

johng99

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
You have the problem well defined - if the valve can be made to open manually then it is not a physical problem but a software problem. I hope they can find the solution for you quickly!
Good Luck.
John