Delonghi EC860 No Water from Coffee Spouts

digitalhammurabi

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
A few weeks ago, I tried to make an espresso, and the water ran out very slowly and only made about 1/4 of a cup. I read online that it was probably the Delonghi 5213214671 Flowmeter, which I ordered and replaced. When I tried to run the machine, no water came out at all. The frother will run if I hit the water button, but it will only run for about five seconds, and then the top red and green lights will flash. When I hit the espresso button, no water flows from the taps (even without the portafilter), and all the water runs out into the drip tray.

I thought it might be the water pump, so I ordered and replaced that, but there was no change. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

Thank you so much!
Josh

digitalhammurabi

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
Hi IFixJura! Thank you so much for your response! I wanted to clarify: I did have some water coming out where the espresso is, as well as at the frother, but that was before I replaced the Flowmeter. After I replaced the flowmeter, I stopped getting water at the espresso spouts altogether. It looks like there are three solenoids; would you have any recommendations on cleaning them, or if there is one that is more likely than the others to be the culprit?

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks!

what

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Your post is very informative and interesting. You are doing good work. Keep it up. I have some tips to write a good post. To write a good post you must have to find a good seo keywords. Many peoples don't know <a href="https://softcreeks.com/guest-posting-services-high-authority-sites/" rel="dofollow" >what is seo keywords and their importance</a>.

digitalhammurabi

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
So, I ended up taking all three solenoids apart, made sure everything was clean (as far as I can tell), and then put them back together. Essentially, I took the black box off the top, then took the two small screw out to get the metal part off of the plastic (where the hoses attach and the actual water flows), and then put it back together. No change. I get plenty of water from the frother, but when I press the espresso button, all the water flows directly into the overflow box. Nothing from the coffee spouts. :-(

digitalhammurabi

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
That very well may be it. I removed the connector that feeds the water down to the espresso taps and hit the espresso button: no water came out of the connector. I’ll take the boiler apart and see. Thank you!!!

digitalhammurabi

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
Okay, took upper boiler out and ran water through it (I can’t see how it comes apart), but water seems to flow though it easily when I run water into it from the faucet. I also didn’t see any white or calcium buildup. Reinstalled with no change.

digitalhammurabi

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
The water pumps up to the first solenoid. I unplugged the hose running from the solenoid to the top boiler, and there is no water pumping out. Is it possible that the solenoid isn’t allowing the flow for electrical reasons? The path for the water in the solenoid seems very clear, and I’ve taken it apart and cleaned it a couple of times. Could the motherboard or the electric part of the solenoid be broken?

also, I don’t know if I mentioned this, but the two top lights (red and green) still flash about five seconds after I hit either the frother/water button or the espresso button. Does that help at all?

digitalhammurabi

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
I'm afraid I might be coming to the end of my ability to troubleshoot. I'm not sure how to check connectivity (except to say that it is connected to the wires). I don't know if I know how to connect another DC power source :-( Perhaps I could put the wires from the solenoid next to it on it?

So, it's not all lights that are blinking/flashing. Once the machine is switched on, it goes through its heating process, when most of the lights blink, and then they go steady green, showing that the machine is heated. The manual has this in the troubleshooting guide (see pic):

Attachments

• 2020-04-17_11-13-15.jpg
    2020-04-17_11-13-15.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 122

digitalhammurabi

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
I think I figured it out! I disconnected the wires from solenoid #93 and placed the wires from the solenoid next to it on #93. When I hit the espresso button, water came out of the spouts!! Does that mean that it is the motherboard?

alcpower

May 15, 2022
California
Visit site
Addendum on 5-15-2022.
I narrowed down the issue to the flow meter. On the flow meter, I disconnected the tube going into the pump and sucked on that to see if water could flow freely. There was some initial resistance, but then water flowed easily through it. I put the tubes back to its original placement and the water flowed to the expresso outlet. Machine works now. I don’t need to order a new part now.
============
Earlier post=====
I have the same problem as you described on my EC860. Have you fixed the problem? Was it the main power board and the #93 connector? On my machine, there are two connectors, next to each other labeled #93. Thank you for any response. Al in Santa Clara, California

Last edited:

casper

Nov 9, 2023
Denmark
Visit site
Addendum on 5-15-2022.
I narrowed down the issue to the flow meter. On the flow meter, I disconnected the tube going into the pump and sucked on that to see if water could flow freely. There was some initial resistance, but then water flowed easily through it. I put the tubes back to its original placement and the water flowed to the expresso outlet. Machine works now. I don’t need to order a new part now.
============
Earlier post=====
I have the same problem as you described on my EC860. Have you fixed the problem? Was it the main power board and the #93 connector? On my machine, there are two connectors, next to each other labeled #93. Thank you for any response. Al in Santa Clara, California
I have the same problem and the same machine as you alcpower. Did you find a solution?
- Casper