Design issue

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
I have my space and two of the four walls have cynder blocks. My designer suggests we sheetrock them, but my builder (aka brother Jim) is saying it will be a pain to do 1) because of the shape of the windows 2) we'll have to pull another permit and 3) it will be another inspection--our township is strict. Someone else suggested to just paint it and if it looks hideous, then sheetrock it, but if the paint works for now, we can upgrade it if/when we can afford to do so. My designer says it will be ugly, but I don't have much of a choice because of my budget. The area is huge, 17ft ceilings. Anyway, I am looking for a creative and CHEAP but visually appealing way to conceal this. The back wall is not really an issue because that will be framed out with walls to the rooms that are up against it. And, don't even ask why I am worrying about this and not my designer. Does anyone have any suggestions or possibly faced a similar issue?

There are some pics in my album, if this link works: http://pub45.bravenet.com/photocenter/a ... lbum=48638[/img]

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
The window area is something that brings light into the area and will naturally draw the eye, it is also the last thing the customers will see as they leave!. I would definitely sheet rock it.

The high ceilings do need to be dealt with, they may give an unpleasant reverberation in the place, and the lattice work will attract dust, dirt and I suppose spiders webs, it also looks visually unappealing. it will be expensive but a suspended ceiling is usual with the ventilation ducts concealed above the ceiling. It has the additional advantage of being able to put drip catchment (evaporation) trays should you ever get any small leaks.

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
OK... So, we paid the designer her fee already. She has a lot of contacts that can help us save, but right now I am feeling like its a waste. The good news is that she has caught some errors that the architect made (ie not enough lighting).

NW: I agree with you. I could give an "F" about the walls and the floor. I can't remember what the floors or walls looked like in the last 3 places I visited. But to be fair, this is about the cinder block wall, its not really a smooth surface that would look good with paint on it, it wasn't done well to begin with. It was meant to be covered. And, yes, the ceiling and everything will be black--the landlord is doing that.

EPD: I mentioned the stucco to my brother and he said he could do it
and would price out the materials to give us an idea of the cost but thinks it would be a good option for us. Thanks!

Not to be whiny, but can I whine for a bit? I just get the feeling that the designer doesn't want to work with us because our budget is so small. Yes, I shot myself in the foot with my loan. To be honest, I didn't expect to be approved; I didn't think this would happen and now I am thinking "Oh, sh*t". I just expected to be one of the hundreds of people who post the typical "Want to open a coffee shop questions". I just don't know what to say with this lady. I am never at a loss for words, but when I find myself in a situation where I don't know what's the norm, I clam up. I am trying to be nice and professional with this lady, but there are times I just don't know what to do. I guess I could use a nice kick in the ass. My husband thinks she is fine with us--thinks I am over sensitive, and maybe I am.

Here I am trying to work on my menu and all of the other things that need to be done. (And I know you know what I mean) Why the F am I trying to find something for my f-in walls?! Am I wrong? I have never worked with a designer before, so I am just stuck. I don't know who is doing what at this point. I am not a good decorator, and don't really have an eye for what works, so I do need some professional help in this regard. She comes highly regarded and does amazing work. I really think once this is all said and done we will have a place that looks amazing, but I could just do without this right now.

[/end rant]

davidwhatley

Oct 9, 2007
DFW
Visit site
Easy

Spray texture on the wall, and then trowel it for a stucco finish. Or, put a planter along the wall and plant a fast growing ivy and let it cover the wall, another thought, paint it white, and put markers there for people to "sign" the wall. Ask the local art dept to come in and paint a mural on the wall.
Send my check to : P. O. Box 1111
:)
David

crema123

Mar 10, 2007
Cook Islands
Visit site
Hello,

I like your post - it shows the typical frustrations that are involved with opening your store.

My initial reaction to your story was: you hired a designer to help you make your store look a certian way and to project a certain image. Your designer knows your budgets, and should be able to work out a color scheme for painting, or other things, to make that wall look as good as possible considering your budget.

You have to keep in mind these people are totally disconnected from the pressures of your store. It's easy for her to say "sheetrock the wall" - that's not doing her job. Her job would be more like "Since your budget is $XXX, we can head down to the shops, buy some 2'x4' foot frames, get some colored fabrics, frame them, and place them here, here and here and you'll make this wall awesome."

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Hi, David... We did consider the art dept at the local college, but you just never know what you're going to get.

Frank: Thank you for validating my feelings.

Most of the posters here have been supportive of me and its made such a difference in this process.

We met with the designer the other day. She pulled together some awesome pieces and colors for us; some beautiful ideas, that seem just like how we want it to look. I guess the thing is there's doing it "the right way" versus doing what we can afford. I think she is also wanting this to look good because her name is on it. We emailed all of our selections to her thinking she was ordering everything. Nope--she emailed us purchase orders so we can order everything. WTF? Oh well. I will be glad when we're done with her. So, tomorrow, I will spend some of my time ordering sh*t. I guess we just paid her for her guidance that our colors wouldn't clash. Its one step forward and two steps back with her.

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
UPDATE

UPDATE:

Thanks for everyone listening to my b*tching! So, as of last week, we are pretty much done with our designer. She sent me information to order everything citing, she "doesn't typically do ordering." Are you f-in kidding me? So, I ordered everything we needed. We have decided that we might partially sheetrock & piant the larger walls and the part that sticks out (with the door) we might do a stucco faux finish to give a point of interest.

And, I just talked to the health inspector who will be inspecting our place and he tells me that I don't need any of the extra stuff our designer said was mandatory: no special tile, no RFP, no cabinet lining. He said that we aren't a full blown restaurant and as long as everything can be wiped down, it will be fine. Holy crap--for the first time the government save me money.

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Hi, Kiwi... You aren't too late. I guess that's the good thing about nothing moving fast. LOL Thanks for your kind words!

NWJava: I really pissed the designer off now. I went and cancelled my table order because they won't be done until 6 weeks AFTER we are supposed to open and she didnt get why I cancelled it. I know, the nerve I have cancelling MY order! So, I went to a guy I know and ordered some woodgrain laminate tables, that sort of match the mahogony chairs. They aren't the best tables, but I think they will work. If the "wood" looks bad, we can just use the reverse side which is a flat black. So, not only did I piss her off, but I also saved... $1200.00!! Two birds with one stone! I didn't need to order custome made tables. I did want to invest in good seating. I didn't want anyone to break my chairs and get hurt--hey, I know some chubby people.