CoffeeTec.Com

Desparately Seeking a Decent Coffee

rsclosson

Oct 7, 2022
Tallahassee
Greetings from Tallahassee Florida. I joined this group in hope of finding a good cup of coffee. I fondly remember when buying off the shelf brands used to be either "good to the last drop" or "the best part of waking up." Now, everything tastes like carefully aged cardboard. It is true that I am older. (In numbers; not in spirit.) But I firmly believe that my palate is intact. When I go to a good coffee shop, I can taste the good stuff. I just can't find any for home brewing.

I have tried more exotic blends. I have been through several grinders and have been sampling whole bean coffees, but have not been able to find anything that tastes anywhere near the great simple coffees I used to start my morning off right. I prefer light roast coffee and occasional medium roasts but would love to find anything that tastes fresh and delicious. It doesn't have to be gourmet; just tasted great.

HELP!!

OP
R

rsclosson

Oct 7, 2022
Tallahassee
What brand? That could be part of your challenge is why I'm asking
I have tried a bunch of different brands. I used to get great results from Dunkin Donuts but not any more. I have tried whole beans including LaVazza and others. I can tell when I open the package even before I brew it by the aroma

CupaGil

May 21, 2022
Southeast USA
R:
Assuming you have checked out the brewing device and grinder as mentioned above I suggest you concentrate on sourcing high-quality single source freshly roasted beans. A roaster I use https://www.storehousecoffee.com/ is near enough to you to get the beans to you within a couple of days. Joe the proprietor will roast any way you want but start with the recommended for the bean you pick. You may want to get a sampler to begin with to narrow it down, then experiment with different roasts. For one bean Joe roasts 50% full city and 50% full city plus for me as an example of how you can find the combination that tastes best to you. One of the keys is freshly roasted beans to get the full flavor. Give this a try, you should be enjoying great coffee again and having a lot of fun finding your best variety and roast.
CupaGil

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
I have tried a bunch of different brands. I used to get great results from Dunkin Donuts but not any more. I have tried whole beans including LaVazza and others. I can tell when I open the package even before I brew it by the aroma

Hi there... I was asking about the brand of brewer you were using. The reason I ask is most 'Mr Coffee' type brewers don't reach the correct brewing temperature to brew great coffee. No matter the grind/grinder or coffee some will simply not brew great coffee.

1) Start with fresh coffee - most of the mass market coffee (dunkin/starbucks/lavazza) aren't fresh. I recommend using any coffee within 30 days of roast if possible. If your coffee doesn't have a date on it... it isn't fresh.
2) Freshly grind just before brewing
3) Use the proper brewing tools - a quality brewer and use 202-degree water.
4) Use the appropriate amount of coffee - typically 2 Tbsp per 6 oz cup (that may be a bit strong for some but that's typically around what coffee shops use. Another problem with inexpensive drip brewers is the baskets won't hold enough coffee).

I also recommend the clever brewer for a super solid easy-to-brew method... just add hot water. I also sell them on my website:

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
A standard drip coffee brewer can make excellent coffee. Just about any drip machine. Here is what I figured out.

Get a digital kitchen scale. Very inexpensive, under $25. Figure out how to use it, change units, zero it out. Not hard at all.

Ignore the cup numbers on the carafe or the reservoir, they mean nothing.

Meausure 30 fl oz of water for 50 g of ground coffee. Make it the regular way.

It will be great. Enjoy

There is further you can go down this rabbit whole, and get more paraphernalia and more fiddly technique, and yea coffee is even better. But look, with just a standard drip coffee machine you can have the tasty coffee of your dreams, with nothing more than decent ground coffee and a digital kitchen scale. I promise.

okbutfirstcoffee

Apr 7, 2022
United States
If you wish to enjoy coffee made up of greatest quality beans at home, then you shall prefer buying coffee beans online from Ok But First Coffee, as the company sells 100% Pure Arabica Roasted and Premium Coffee Beans.

CoffeeTec.Com