Dial in Espresso Grind Wizard

grynds

Sep 29, 2020
Visit site
Hi CF friends,

I'm excited to introduce https://grynds.com/find-grind

It's a tool to help new home baristas dial in their espresso grinds using math.

Please feel free to provide constructive feedback.

If you're wondering how it works let use a Baratza Vario for an example. It has 230 grind settings. The manual says espresso grinds go from Macro Setting 1 to 3. So that's 70 settings to work with.

1. Starts with a set of grind settings
    1. 3W, 3U, 3V,.... 2M, 2L, 2K,... 1C, 1B, 1A (70 settings)
  2. Picks the middle setting: 2L
  3. Using the built in timer, it'll determine if the shot is too slow/fast
  4. If the shot is too slow, it'll eliminate all of the finer settings from 2L to 1A because we know those will pull slow shots as well
    1. 3W, 3U, 3V,... 3G, 3F, 3E,... 2O, 2N, 2M (35 settings)
  5. Pick the middle setting: 3F
  6. Etc.
  7. Etc.
  8. Until we find a workable espresso grind size.

Basically it'll keep cutting the number of possible espresso grind sizes in half until it finds a good grind size: 70, 35, 18, 9, 4, 2, 1. So instead of brute forcing 70 grind settings on a Vario, it'll cut the attempts to at most 7. Hopefully the user is lucky and won't have to use all 7 attempts.

I generally hate it when I blow more than 3 shots of espresso trying to dial in a new coffee bag of coffee. :mad: There is a "Fine Tune" drop down if the user knows for sure the current grind suggestion will absolutely not work.

I understand this may not be the ideal way to find an espresso grind size. I'm sure professional or seasoned home baristas will have better intuition.

Sadly it's hard to put professional barista intuition into a newbie's head, so I figured providing a mathematical way to find an espresso grind size can help a newbie develop the intuition.

Right now it only supports Bartza Forte, Sette 270, and Vario because they're the only grinders I have experience with. But if this is useful to other people, I'm open to supporting other grinders.

Let me know what you think. Any constructive feedback is welcome.

Oh also if you have tips on how to make my landing page better, I'm open to suggestions: https://grynds.com/

Cheers :coffee:

Last edited:

grynds

Sep 29, 2020
Visit site
Great page can u do it for people like me that do pour overs? I use a bartaza encore!

Hi @wstsider, thanks for visiting our site and suggestion.

Before espresso, I used to do pour overs. Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought pour overs are less sensitive to grind settings than espresso.

Certainly open to the idea though. How would something like this work? Same way?

Looking at the manual, I'm assuming an Encore would have an ideal setting between 15 and 20. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I don't have an Encore.

I'm thinking if it worked the same way it would pick setting 17 and time the pour over for between 2.5 and 3 mins then suggest grind settings from there?

choco_late_

Nov 25, 2020
Visit site
A cup of tea in the morning is the best part of my day. Coffee lovers will understand me, because coffee perfectly invigorates for the whole day ahead. I don't buy coffee on the street, because the coffee there is just terrible. I prefer to make coffee in my home kitchen. I have the best coffee grinder that makes delicious coffee. I've recently ordered the same coffee grinder for my mother's birthday -- Capresso 560.01 Infinity Conical Burr Grinder. The coffee grinder has ideal characteristics. If you are looking for the best value for money in the coffee grinder market, then this Capresso product is one of the best candidates.

Last edited: