Diedrich IR-5 drum speed mod

k2coffeeroasters

Jan 22, 2022
Texas
Visit site
Hello! Im new here so here goes.. Ive been roasting on a Diedrich IR-5 for several years and got the itch to experiment with different drum speeds. I just installed a vfd and 3 phase motor. When i speed the drum up much over the factory setting of 44 rpm it sounds like the beans are hitting something by the intake/loading funnel area. Its really annoying because the coffee tastes noticeably better with faster rpm but i dont like all the racket., has anyone else experimented with drum speed adjustment on a small Diedrich?

JUNYEONG

Jan 16, 2022
South Korea
Visit site
I am working as a Didric Roaster Engineer in Korea.
RPM, power, control panel interior materials, burner characteristics, exhaust, etc. are all taken into consideration when designing.

It is not a good idea to deviate from the basic design.

k2coffeeroasters

Jan 22, 2022
Texas
Visit site
RPM, power, control panel interior materials, burner characteristics, exhaust, etc. are all taken into consideration when designing.

Well so far a faster drum speed does produce better and cleaner flavors..

JUNYEONG

Jan 16, 2022
South Korea
Visit site
Can you upload a photo or video?

Can you upload a photo or video?
Well so far a faster drum speed does produce better and cleaner flavors..
I don't know what kind of motor is installed, but in the long run, it is a factor that can cause load on the roaster and failure.

Do you have rosater photos or videos?