Do you blend before the roast or after the roast

Jan 22, 2005
Visit site
Hello there, I am a home roaster just starting out. My question is addressed to any roaster. For an espresso should I blend the green beans before I roast or should I roast seperate and then blend the roasted beans together.

Thansk

everydaygourmet

Nov 15, 2004
Visit site
bean_there_Bunn_that said:
Hello there, I am a home roaster just starting out. My question is addressed to any roaster. For an espresso should I blend the green beans before I roast or should I roast seperate and then blend the roasted beans together.

Thansk

I am newer at this also, and I post blend. (of course I like the whole roasting process)

I did try a bean suppliers "Espresso blend" and it turned out fine (I was sure it would not) I can tell what most of the beans are while green, as I bought beans from him individually, so I was shocked it turned out as well as it did. SInce there were 5 or 6 different beans in the mix.

It does save time, and the supplier swears there is something about roasting them all together, that adds to the whole process.

"Like stew is better when it simmers for 4 hours together, rather than throwing in a bunch of cooked items in a broth and serving it

does this make sense?- he believes it is that big of intangible.....I am going to try it with my own blend and see what I think.

good luck

everydaygourmet

Nov 15, 2004
Visit site
NW JAVA said:
I combine then roast.....usually.

Is that a matter of convenience or preference NW? (I know it is much quicker, for sure)

Again, just curious myself, to hear from some of the people who do it for a living.

thanks in advance

blend first ( after you are sure that the beans play well together) and it about effeciency and quality. imagine having three to five bags of roasted beans that you had to manage against staileness, and to boot scooping roasted beans can crack or otherwise damage the roasted bean; leaving it more prone to oxidation. Liftoff, it's nice to see you posting and I like you posts.

Ok, heres my humble opinion on this issue. I always roast my single origin beans seperatley THEN blend the beans together post roast. Why? Although all greens will have a similar moisture content (+/-12%) there are other factors that effect how they will roast...meaning it is hard to do justice to each origin if you rost them as one lot. Bean hardness, sugar content, size.. (if you are not using beans screened to the same size) even the method the bean was processed will/can all impact on the roast process. In my opinion it is very difficult if not impossible for me to bring out the characteristics in each origin and then apply it to my espresso blend if I roast all the beans I use in the blend at the same time.

Ok- in saying this I see nothing wrong at all with a HOME roaster using a 250gm capacity home roast popper or Alpenrost combining all the greens together. My living is made from roasting...dawn till dusk (or is that dawn to dawn?? :grin: ). For a home roaster this is a love, a hobby...a second wife or hubby!!...but if you are roasting 4,5,6 origins individually to blend for an espresso you might suddenly find your significant other half is less supportive of your hobby.

ElPugDiablo

Thank you Alun_evans for conveying the reasons behind why roast seperately then blend is the way to go. However, even for home roasting I would think people should roast seperately and then blend. At 15 - 18 minutes per drum roast, 4 origins plus set up time will take a little more than an hour. That shouldn't be too much time for a nice hobby like home roast.

Jan 22, 2005
Visit site
i just missed you alun_evans- check your PM when you are back on line next. I would like to thank everyone for their comments and I am of course still confused. Is this a regional preference thing- I see NWJava is in the USA, while alun_evans is in Java? Any other comments would maybe clarify this for me :)

JavaQueen

Oct 18, 2004
NY
Visit site
I don't think it is regional. Just roaster preference. I actually prefer the post roast blending myself for some of the same reasons listed above.

Hey Maxtor. I was there and went by your display a few times- did not bring my greens though. In the end got caught up over at the CMA display (they had me registered as one of their exhibitors) and did not get a chance to get back over to your side. No worries- I am sure as anything I will be back over in Singapore next month- we chould catch up then. I WILL bring my greens this time!