Does storing beans in air/light-tight container effect flavor?

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
I have recently been putting freshly roasted beans (within ~15 minutes of roasting) into a porcelain container with a thin, rubber seal and not allowing it to degas outside of the container. Thinking about this, will it effect the flavor of the beans? I would imagine it would give them a 'flatter' taste (less subtlety) than beans that are allowed to out gas. Then again the seal might allow tiny particles to leave if the pressure were to become high enough.

Has anyone experimented with this/has issues in the past?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
You'll hear good arguments on both sides. The best thing you can do is make up your own experiment, and see what your taste buds like the best.

I think your beans are outgassing even in your sealed container. How much head room, i.e., how much air is in there with the beans? I believe oxygen is a bigger culprit than CO2, so in my book, your sealed container isn't hurting anything.

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
The beans fill up ~60% of the container (I roast in 1/2 lb. increments). I have forgotten to close the lid and they sit open for 12 - 18 hours in the past so this is the easiest way to do it.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
First, you should not keep in air tight container right after the roast. Co2 from the beans will effect the taste of the coffee.
I normally let the coffee sit for about 2 days in large container without the lid. But sometimes degasing process can take up to 5 days.
After 2 days, I would put them in canister that has Co2 releasing valve. I normally roast about 5-15 pounds and keep about a pound or two for myself.

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
CJ, you are the first person that I have heard that ever leaves their coffee in the open for more than ~ 8-10 hours. I could see if you put it in something with a 1-way valve but open for 2 days?

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
minimum of two days for me.
Yes I have experienced putting them in airtight container right after roasting.
yes it did blow up my bag once.
Also I actually bean tasted flat.

I am roasting about 15 pounds sometimes.
I would let them sit long enough to release Co2.
I do not leave them inside of my house but leave them in my porch.

If you are roasting few pounds at a time, it wouldnt matter much. But when you roast little bigger amount, I found it to be very helpful to leave them out for 2 days before I bag them for gift or use.

I do use one way valved canister after two days to store my own coffee. But most of them are given away to my friends in a brown bag.

But I do see big differences when you leave them out for two days with taste and flavor.

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
There is no one perfect about keeping the beans after roasted. Through your own experience you will know what exactly the contributing factors that affect the coffee flavor. I think putting freshly roasted beans immediately in a rubber sealed container is not wrong. If you are not allowing degassing, it doesn't mean that the flavor of the beans is affected. The culprit in affecting the beans flavor is the oxygen and not the CO2. Remember that when degassing takes place the oxygen will come in and it is better to keep it in a sealed container to preserve the taste.