Douwe Egberts Equivalent?

Al_Scagnetti

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
After living in Europe for a few years I became attached to Douwe Egberts, Aroma Rood (red package). Now that I'm back in the States and imported packages are $$$ ($5 USD for 250mg), I'm looking for a replacement. Can anyone that's had DE recommend something stateside that is comparable?

notmuffy

Mar 25, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Well, I am drinking from the 'red package' right now, but it calls itself "Real Coffee" instead of "Aroma Rood" whatever that means. If it is the same coffee, I would say that this brand smells like an ashtray, but actually tastes pretty smooth. I can't, unfortunately, compare it to a specific brand in the US, because I don't have the sensitive enough palette to be able to remember/catagorize them all. If I had to estimate, I would say to try a Green Mountain darker blend and see if that comes close.

p.s, $5 per 250 g isn't THAT much worse than around here. At £4.60/500 mg (At Tesco's yesterday), using the £1=$1.72 ratio, it works out to about $4/250 mg around here. Maybe you'll find a $1 off coupon? :)

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
notmuffy...don't compare it to other blends....what are the characteristics? body, acidity, aroma, finish any key points...that would be helpful...that way we might be able to suggest a few coffees or maybe a blend you could put together yourself.

notmuffy

Mar 25, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
topher said:
notmuffy...don't compare it to other blends....what are the characteristics? body, acidity, aroma, finish any key points...that would be helpful...that way we might be able to suggest a few coffees or maybe a blend you could put together yourself.

I'm confused. Are you talking to me? I gave the characteristics of the red labled coffee I was drinking. It turns out that it is not the same coffee that the original poster is trying to replace, so you can ignore those characteristics that I gave.
Or maybe you thought it was me that was looking for the replacement coffee?

ACK all this thinking is spinning my head. I gotta go get a cup of coffee. Talk amongst yourselves. :wink:

Al_Scagnetti

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
notmuffy said:
Well, I am drinking from the 'red package' right now, but it calls itself "Real Coffee" instead of "Aroma Rood" whatever that means. If it is the same coffee, I would say that this brand smells like an ashtray, but actually tastes pretty smooth. I can't, unfortunately, compare it to a specific brand in the US, because I don't have the sensitive enough palette to be able to remember/catagorize them all. If I had to estimate, I would say to try a Green Mountain darker blend and see if that comes close.[\quote]

I think you're drinking the equivalent of the Aroma Rood. If I'm not mistaken, Aroma Rood just means "full flavor," or something of the such. In any case, you've described better than I could. If definitely doesn't have that strong, coffee smell that you like to wake up to. However, as you mention, the flavor makes up for that shortcoming. It's very smooth and well-balanced. I, too, don't have the discerning palette or the food critic skills necessary to acurately describe what make this coffee unique. I just wish I could find it here in the states for less than $8 USD/250mg brick.

Al_Scagnetti

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Re: Ya can git it if u really want!

tintinet said:
http://www.wineswineswines.com/site/565454/product/225110

Hey, that's actually a pretty good price for the 500mg brick. Thanks a lot for the link. I've checked out all kinds of import sites, and most are charging that much for the 250mg variety.

Al_Scagnetti

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
topher said:

I'm new to breaking down the characteristics, but if I had to guess I'd say:

• body - not sure what you mean, but I'd have to say that when I make it, it is strong without being overbearing. It's definitely not mild, nor is it like a Turkish coffee.

acidity - i'd say it's very smooth. It's not bitter, and never gives me heartburn. :)

aroma - someone else said it smells like an ashtray, but I tend to think it doesn't smell much at all. Perhaps I'm just used to it, but I think I could walk into the room and not know it was brewing.
Not sure what else to say about it. Truth be told, it's probably not all that special. It is, after all, mass marketed by Sara Lee. Bottom line is that I like it better than anything I've ever had before. Oh yeah, and if it factors in to the analysis I did above, I drink it straight up black.

Thanks for any input or advice.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Here are some basics on coffee...and some terms such as what acidity is and body. Hope it helps

Colombian Supremo- Medium body and acidity. This coffee is mellow in taste with a sweet spicy aroma.

Sumatra Mandheling- Most full bodied of coffees. You can feel the richenss setting in the corners behind your tongue. It has relatively low acidity, but enough to keep the cup vibrant and interesting, rich, smooth and full flavor.

Guatamalan- Medium to full bodied and rich in flavor. This coffee also has a distinct smokey flavor and is a fairly rich cup.

Kenya AA-Distinct dry, winy aftertaste, full-bodied richness . Great coffee for people who like the striking and unusual coffees.

Tanzanian Peaberry-sharp winy acidity typical of african and arabian coffees. Medium to full bodied and fairly rich in flavor.

Ethiopian Yirgacheffe- Rich teasing and mysteriuos on the palate, with a very long resonant finish, its acidity vibrates inside the richness of the body, but adds a soft fragrant flowery note.

Mexican Altura- Delicate in body, with a pleasently dry acidy snap.

Hawaiian Kona-rich yet light bodied with a natural sweetness

Matari Mocha-The acidity leaves an unmistakable dry, winelike aftertaste on the palate. In addition to its rich winy quality, Mocha has its own particular flavor note, which can be associated with chocolate.

Brazilian Santos-smooth flavor, medium body, with moderate acidity
Coffee Glossary

Acidity-refers to the sharpness or dryness that a coffee produces on the back of our palate

Arabica-the finest of coffee beans available. Most specialty coffees are arabica, grown between 3,000 to 6,000 feet above sea level.

Aroma- Characteristics that are distinguished by smell. Such characteristics could be "floral" or "winy"

Barista- A person that specializes in preparing coffee drinks

Blend- two or more individual coffees that are mixed together to bring out desired characteristics

Body-the richness or heaviness that is felt on the tongue

Burr Grinder-2 plates that have ridges on them which grind the coffee as it passes the plates. Unlike a blade grinder which breaks the coffee apart.

Buttery: An oily, rich flavor and texture, characteristic of some Indonesian varietals and those brewing methods which feature substantial quantities of coffee particles in suspension(french press, and espresso machine)
Cappucinno- A shot of espresso with the reamainder being half steamed milk and half frothed milk

Carmelly- Term used to describe coffees that are candylike or syrupy flavor

Chocolaty- Term used to describe an aftertaste similar to unsweetend chocolate

Clean- Characteristic of all fine coffees. It refers to distinct taste characteristics as opposed to muddied impressions of flavor

Complexity- The perception of multiple flavors

Crema- The tan foam formed on the surface of a well made espresso

Delicate- Term used to describe a subtle flavor left on the tip of the tongue by a coffee

Demitasse- A term meaning "half cup"or basically a small coffee cup

Dry Cappuccino- Cappucinno made with more 1/3 more froth and 1/3 less milk
Earthy-

Exotic- Refers to coffees with unusual aromatic and flavor notes("floral", "berry-like"and "sweet-spice-like")

Flavor- The overall perception of the coffee in the mouth. Components of flavor include acidity, aroma, and body

French Press or Cafetiere- A devise used to brew coffee in which ground coffee is steeped in water. The grounds are then removed from the coffee by means of a filter plunger which presses the grounds to the bottom of the pot.

Froth/foam- Term used to describe milk which has been made foamy by aerating it with hot steam.

Fruity- A characteristic reminiscent of citrus or berries

Mellow- Smooth taste, lacking acidity

Peaberry- Eahc coffee cherry contains two coffee beans. Occasionally, a cherry will form with only one bean. These are peaberries and are generally sold as their own grade. All coffees produce about 20% of its coffee in peaberry form.

Portafilter- The cupped handle on an espresso machine which holds the ground coffee during the brewing process

Richness- refers to boday and fullness

Spicy- Describes a coffee that has a flavor and aroma reminiscent of spices

Winy- Describes a coffee that has an aftertaste reminiscent of a well matured wine