Drive-thru coffee: the death of quality coffee

albino_hammer734

Feb 12, 2007
Visit site
Ever since everyone started serving coffee at the drive-thru window, the quality of their coffee dropped.Not saying it was that great before.) Bad coffee is now worse. Good coffee is bad. And, worse of all, great coffee is just O.K. why the obbession with quick and bad coffee? Life is too short to suffer through a bad coffee.

billagirly

Mar 29, 2005
DFW, Texas
Visit site
I know what you're saying, but I don't necessarily agree that everyone's quality has dropped. I've only noticed it in a few places, and that's simply because they have gotten fully automatic machines with 8-12 second extraction times - I suppose that in making everything so streamlined that anyone can do it, and they can do it fast, the quality has become less imprtant to some.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
If you serve all drinks in paper cups, you are sacrificing quality no matter what the outcome in the cup is. If you are only comparing caffe to caffe and drive-thru to drive-thru, then that's a different thing.

There is a big gap between the "quality" drive-thru and the run o' the mill drive-thru, but the best drive-thrus can never compete on quality with the best caffes, their entire operation is built convenience/speed first, quality second. How would a drive through serve a proper espresso, or macchiatto, or even a cappuccino? Paper alters the flavor of the coffee, the "mouthfeel" of the cup is all wrong, and with the lid on, you eliminate the aromatics of the coffee/espresso. People who go to drive-thrus are looking for convience, they are occupied with driving, and are not there to 'enjoy the essence of what the barista (uhhh PBTSA [Person Behind the Super Auto]) has made for them. The drive-thru customer gets what they expected. Hot. Caffeine. In a paper cup. Fast. IMHO, the hammer nailed this one. :D

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
John P said:
(uhhh PBTSA [Person Behind the Super Auto])

When I setup any Super Auto whether its for a drive up or as the main machine I always set the espresso to my standards.

I'm a picky person and will not put up with crap espresso. So I make darn sure your PBTSA is making the best product the machine can offer.

billagirly said:
I know what you're saying, but I don't necessarily agree that everyone's quality has dropped. I've only noticed it in a few places, and that's simply because they have gotten fully automatic machines with 8-12 second extraction times - I suppose that in making everything so streamlined that anyone can do it, and they can do it fast, the quality has become less important to some.

As for extraction time I try to go between 20 and 26 seconds with the coffee we use.

I admit there are a lot of people who set it a lot faster, but they are the ones who end up giving the super auto a bad name.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I run mine around 28 seconds..have a friend who runs his around 32 seconds..he only pulls them that long for himself...too each their own :wink:

bweka

Feb 22, 2007
Augusta, GA
Visit site
from the inside....i''ve worked in a cafe'' equiped with a drive thru...and i *HATE* the drive through. the type of customers who go through drive through are drasticly different to serve than those who come inside.
drive thru=''soccer moms\", people on their way to work, familys wanting a carload of frozen drinks...
in store=people who like hands-on coffee, the study groups...people who enjoy the sights and sounds of coffee
another problem is that when a cafe'' is busy..the person at the drive thru cant see that, and patience grows short. an inside customer can see how busy their barista is and becomes instantly more understanding and appreciative of the work behind the coffee.

my boss (owner, not in the store often) is the type who counts seconds on serve time and junk....and does value time more than the quailty..but he''d also be quick to complain if he were at the drive thru and recieved a poor quality drink from any of his staff.