Eco-Friendly Cup Recommendations?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello! Does anyone use non plastic cups for cold drinks?

Are you asking about using non-plastic cups for home use or for a café or restaurant?

The cups that are used for hot drinks are excellent for cold drinks, too. I sometimes bring some 16 ounce hot cups home from work to use for cold drinks, (soda, iced tea, etc.) especially when I know I will be having guests stop by. Many people have remarked that they like the idea of using the non-plastic cups. Plus, the hot cups tend to keep the drinks colder longer, and they don't sweat from condensation as much as the plastic ones do.

I don't know of any cafes that use non-plastic cups for cold drinks. The plastic cups are clear, and most people like to see the ice cubes and the colors of their cold drinks, especially when they have iced coffee drinks, and they're mixing milk into them.

~ Rose

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Cornstarch-based packing peanuts have been around for almost 20 years now.

So the right question to ask here is: what will happen if temperature exceeds 105 degrees F or under direct sunlight? Is there any harmful chemical will be released under this condition? How long is the longest trace study of this material in direct human contact?

It's been a long time since I've thought about the biodegradable packing peanuts. When they first became available, I put some into a bucket of water just to see what would happen. They started to break down immediately.

I wasn't aware that they've been making clear drinking cups out of a corn-based formula. I guess if there are any trace studies being conducted, they probably haven't been going on for long.

The original question was about eco-friendly cups for cold drinks. The temperature of a cold drink shouldn't get high enough to melt the cup or make it start to break down, unless the customer leaves the drink out in the sun or in a hot car - which you shouldn't do with plastic bottles or cups anyway.

I would much rather see cafes use these eco-friendly cold drink cups, instead of letting a customer bring in their own cups to re-use.

Here is another place that sells the cups:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/fa...able-clear-plastic-cold-cup-case/395GC20.html

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I just don't want them compromise human health/lives for ANYTHING because even compromise human lives for other human is WRONG!

You already know biodegradable packing peanuts will break down immediately in water, so they must use something to hold those cups together under the same condition. What that thing is? Is it safe to consume? 105 is a very low temperature: what if you use this kind of cups right after you eat hot food/drink? Your lips temperature will be higher than 105 at that time.

I don't think a person's lips would be higher than 105 degrees after eating hot food or drinking a hot beverage.

A person's normal body temperature is 98.6 degrees F. Drinking a hot beverage can cause an immediate mean temperature elevation of 2.6 degrees. So, at less than 101 degrees, there would be no problem. The person's lips would cool off fast because of the temperature in the room, and the cold beverage that they are drinking would cool the lips instantly. There would be no risk of the cup degrading at that point.

The cups would be safe as long as they are shipped, stored, and used in an environment that is less that 105 degrees. I wonder how they are working out for the businesses who are currently using them.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I've been using Green Strip cold cups / lids / straws for YEARS (7-8)... every once in a while I will get some lids that are bit brittle that must have received some heat. Otherwise I have no issue with these at all. You do have to keep them away from sunlight or heat. For example, when I just have ice left in my drink and I leave it in my hot car - it will shrink - kinda like shrinky dinks for those who know what those are :)

https://www.ecoproductsstore.com/greenstripe_cold_cups.html

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I've been using Green Strip cold cups / lids / straws for YEARS (7-8)... every once in a while I will get some lids that are bit brittle that must have received some heat. Otherwise I have no issue with these at all. You do have to keep them away from sunlight or heat. For example, when I just have ice left in my drink and I leave it in my hot car - it will shrink - kinda like shrinky dinks for those who know what those are :)

https://www.ecoproductsstore.com/greenstripe_cold_cups.html

Musicpan,

I'm glad the Green Strip cold cups are working out for you. Did you experiment with them before you decided to use them full time? I probably would have taken one and given it a blast with a hair dryer just to see what would happen.

I remember Shrinky Dinks .... and after doing a Google search a few minutes ago, I discovered that they still sell them.

~ Rose

hhouck514

Jul 11, 2019
Visit site
I was curious, so I did a little searching. I was surprised to see that there are actually eco-friendly biodegradable cold drink cups that are made out of corn. I guess it's true that you learn something new every day.

Actually those "biodegrage" corn plastic cups don't biodegrage. They can only be composted at a facility. They also are worse than normal #5 plastic, which can be recycled. The Starbucks straws and cold cups are PLA (aka corn plastic), are only compostable but only 1% if them are properly composted. Ugh...I hate when companies pretend to be eco friendly to make money when they truly are not.

Octane

Jul 24, 2019
Visit site
Well, that's a hard one and it's been already mentioned, that some bio-degradable options are not that eco-friendly.
We have a coffee to-go business, and yes, we are looking for a proper solution, though it's still very problematic. So we decided to give a small discounts for our customers who brings their own mugs.
Personally, I have tried many, and recently got hooked on these bamboo cups.

shiftbicyclecafe

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
Also need to mention, PLA is derived from corn. All of the marketing wants you to believe this is some environmental panacea. The truth is it likely takes more petro chemicals to plant, fertilize, weed and insect abatement, harvest, transportation and finally processing. Corn that has likely been genetically modified to be round up resistant and immune to pestacides. Buy the recyclable plastic cups for to go orders, glass tumblers for "for here" drinks and give a discount if they bring their own cup. I'm of the opinion that coffee tastes better in my own cup.

voltagecoffee

Dec 19, 2019
Visit site
People are the most selfish specie in this planet. I highly doubt that people will drop anything for higher causes.
whatever horrible things happened in the past and present, mostly it is due to one of our hideous characters.

I have a much more optimistic view of the matter.