edible beans

btrfly22358

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Someone help and forgive my ignorance........My mom sent me this question......What does one do when coffee beans are set out in small, open containers at the coffee station? Are they edible? Chewable?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Sure are edible and chewable, but I think a bean needs to be roasted a bit darker than the typical roast because they would be more brittle and easier on your teeth. Lighter roasts would surely be too hard as more of the bean is intact. Have had chocolate covered beans many times and it is quite the treat.

Bunny2

Jan 31, 2023
USA
Visit site
Yes, you can eat coffee beans. You can consume raw or roasted beans, depending on your taste.
If you like a milder coffee flavor, eat raw coffee beans instead of roasted ones, either chew them whole or grind them up to use in smoothies or other recipes. A roasted coffee bean has a more robust flavor and becomes more rigid.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I am assuming they are displaying the beans to show the quality. I personally wouldn't put anything in my mouth that has been left out for others to touch. I am weird like that. 😷

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Yes, you can eat coffee beans. You can consume raw or roasted beans, depending on your taste.
If you like a milder coffee flavor, eat raw coffee beans instead of roasted ones, either chew them whole or grind them up to use in smoothies or other recipes. A roasted coffee bean has a more robust flavor and becomes more rigid.
I usually find it hilarious when people complain about 'misinformation' being posted as I question what should be considered 'right or wrong'... having said that, I'll gladly point out that suggesting one can consume raw coffee is a bit much. Not saying from a health POV, but I seriously doubt there's a human walking the face of this Earth than can actually chew green coffee. Surely right off the tree in a somewhat soft form would be fine, but once dried out raw coffee as most of us know it is stone-like in density and nearly impossible to work with on any level without being roasted to a decent degree.