Espresso Beans -- Where?

Triton46

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
Hi, I'm new here...but I love coffee. :-D

Where can one find espresso beans (or is there such a thing)? We got a Krups espresso/coffee maker for our wedding and have only used regular coffee for espresso. We've looked all over the grocery store and can find none. The only thing that pops up on google is Starbucks Espresso Roast.

wulf

Oct 29, 2003
London, UK
Visit site
What's the difference between expresso beans and other types? Is it just a matter of how long they're roasted or are the beans different varieties?

Wulf

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
eSpresso is the way the coffee is prepared...you can take any coffee and make an eSpresso out of it...not saying that it would be a nice ... That is why as roasters we are so secretive about our eSpresso blends...When I make an eSpresso blend...the blend and roast are formulated to achieve the taste profiles I want in the cup...so in closing it is eSpresso not eXpresso :p

wulf

Oct 29, 2003
London, UK
Visit site
Thanks for the spelling correction - I'm normally pretty good on that kind of thing but this one had obviously slipped in past my radar. Espresso, espresso, espresso!

Dictionary.com has:

[Italian (caffè) espresso, espresso (coffee), past participle of esprimere, to press out, from Latin exprimere : ex-, ex- + premere, to press; see per-4 in Indo-European Roots.]

I guess I'll have to blame it on knowing more Latin than Italian :?

That explains why I've had reasonable results using 'normal' coffee in my espresso machine. Am I right in thinking that the blend should be finer than what I use for 'French Press' style coffee making?

Wulf

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Each brewing process has its own grind....turkish being the finest...as fine as baby powder(great to bake into brownies!) then espresso is more coarse than that and the most coarse of all is perc or french press

Triton46

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
My wife and I looked all over the store and can't find an espresso roast coffee. I know you can use regular coffee...but we want to try the full effect. Thanks for the replies...we'll check them out.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Alrighty Then:

Here's my .02 (2 cents)... :D Fine espresso starts with the bean(s) followed by the blend, next the grind, then the extraction. By the way, most home models of espresso machines can't really do a good coffee justice, so it will be difficult to judge how good an espresso tastes from one of these machines. And finally, your taste buds...If it tastes good to you, then it's good coffee. :p